• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Marbys: I’ll wait. If no one posts in a few days, I will then.
    May 23, 2020, 05:13:40 PM
  • Marbys: Sorry, I didn’t know there was something prearranged. I don’t access Discord a lot. It’s OK. I thought joining was open due to tag in the tag box.
    May 23, 2020, 05:11:06 PM
  • Gard: Can’t get to discord right now but yes that’s fine Marbys and I’ll give it a first come first serve!
    May 23, 2020, 04:42:01 PM
  • Ari: I'm fine with it Marbys. (There was ThatGuy who I think was also interested, but idk - whoever posts first I guess :P). Waiting on Gard's vote though.
    May 23, 2020, 01:03:55 AM
  • Marbys: The Fangorn thread, I mean.
    May 22, 2020, 11:25:13 PM
  • Marbys: I'm thinking about joining the Nauroval and Shadowfax with an already reformed Annúngilel. OK for you both, Ari and Gard?
    May 22, 2020, 11:24:12 PM
  • Ari: Shadowfax: *wiggles excitedly*
    May 22, 2020, 12:41:26 AM
  • Hera: New plotters ready!
    May 21, 2020, 11:32:10 PM
  • Hades: :P sure thing.
    May 21, 2020, 09:49:40 PM
  • Guiga: Don't stress, Hades. I like where it is going in my head now. Thank you, Gard!
    May 21, 2020, 03:18:36 AM
  • Hades: Oh! I’m sorry... I wasn’t aware that you wanted to take it in a specific direction. We can always loop around to the direction you want to take it. :)
    May 21, 2020, 02:40:44 AM
  • Gard: I am stalking that thread so hard :)
    May 21, 2020, 02:13:29 AM
  • Guiga: Yes, sure. That thread just took a turn in another direction, but this way we can explore their relationship.
    May 21, 2020, 01:30:47 AM
  • Hades: Beautiful, I hope you liked it!
    May 21, 2020, 12:33:36 AM
  • Guiga: Don't worry, Hades. It's OK. I'll finish a few things and then reply as Bard.
    May 20, 2020, 09:38:14 PM
  • Nienna: I am ashamed it took so long to eek out a post for ya,
    May 20, 2020, 02:40:25 AM
  • Marbys: Wrong account...
    May 17, 2020, 04:22:26 AM
  • Thengel: That's bad!!! I'm glad you're getting better. Don't push yourself.
    May 17, 2020, 04:21:56 AM
  • Dory: Yeah it's kinda complicated. I couldn't write at all until very recently bc I broke bones in both hands, so my LoA was a voice to text on Discord.
    May 16, 2020, 02:00:38 AM
  • Marbys: Happy to write with you again. I also have many other characters to offer for plots.
    May 15, 2020, 12:17:41 PM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: Ruffled Feathers  (Read 5716 times)

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
  • Application: Plotter
Ruffled Feathers
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
As evening waned into night and the starry hosts came out of the daytime slumber to shine brightly before the openness of the fields and peak through canopies of forests to the green earth below. All things that wandered in the shadows became braver, seeking destruction to anything that came into its path. Some were like the wild storms of the Misty Mountains, wild and unruly, quick to strike and as loud as thunder! The thunderstorms that raged in the Misty Mountains were gone, but forever in view as they stretched across Middle-Earth like the backbone of an animal. On one side lived man and Elves and on the other lived strange short creatures like Dwarves and Hobbits, and yet even there Elves could be found living quietly among them, passing through the trees unseen in the darkness of the night. My home is in Rohan, the land of the brave horse lords… horse lords, HA! The foul creatures are most unwelcome.[/i] There wasn’t a choice however, in who lived on the land and who died, all of it was left to fate and chance and perhaps some other form of will. Destiny is not the same as fate. One day I shall find my fate and therein find my true destiny.[/i]

Dénor, try to find you somewhere to sleep and don’t wander off into the abyss of the forest.” His master was incompetent and completely ridiculous, why would he wander off without purpose? He was devoted to, even if he thought her so incompetent. The Rohirrim woman who had brought him up had taught this Elf a thing or two about taking care of him. There was nothing more he could ask for, someone to be with, to protect and defend. Dénor was the size of the female of his species, an egg defect, and perhaps just a tad larger. His orange eyes held obvious defiance and glowed like the dying embers of a fire in the moonlight. His feathers were molten brown and white. Elves are such interesting creatures, I loathe them all. Yet this one seems more human by nature than Elvish any other day. When confronted with the two, I suppose I would choose her over any other master.[/i] He thought as he peered through the branches of a great pine tree. The fire was small and already his master was fast asleep next to it. Turning his head from side to side he decided it would best to keep an eye on the camp, as was the invisible agreement between him and his master. She travels alone in the world; all of her trust goes to no one on the spot, male or female. But she trusts me implicitly and so I shall do my best to uphold that trust. I hope it does not cost me my life!

Dénor slept with one eye open. If there were any Orcs or other foul creatures to be seen it would be too soon. Being in the wild one was bound to come across any sort of strange creature. Recently they had avoided some trolls, as recent as three days ago. It was weird to see trolls this far from the caves of the mountains. Their sudden appearance in the forests and open spaces at night was something to marvel at. Trolls turn to stone in the daylight. Dénor and Ginger had witnessed this, as there were large statues of trolls just miles north of where they were currently staying. He remembered the incident with such vividness that he puffed out his feathers.

The moonlit night was drifting into the midnight witching hour. A prime time for hunting! Leaving his perch in the giant pine, Dénor’s feathers made hardly a sound accept for the air that startled the needles and dropped a few pinecones. He watched his master sleep peacefully for a moment, and then he darted into the forest.

The mouse was delightful! Its warm body tasted fabulous on his tongue and was later turned into pellets and regurgitated, just as it was with his entire species. One of the more disgusting things about Dénor was that he not only ate animals three times his own size, but he also ate owls. Being a predatory bird had its flaws, but it was a flaw he embraced when necessary.

Everything was quiet in the forest accept for the crickets and singing tree frogs.

out of cookies;
sorry if it is a bit rambly in places... xD I hope you like it and if there isn't enough content for you to work with please let me know! next inline for posts: Puck, Loki, Zilla.

played by: Hades speech color: B3C963 siggy made by: Pip!

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Blue
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
A patch of darkness moved among the brightening stars, bright yellow eyes forming two extra points of light when what light there was caught them exactly right. It was past the time when he would usually roost and he had dined happily on a sheep earlier, the extra weight of a meal a reassuring feeling as he skimmed over the sluggish night air. Aurhîn was hunting purely for the sake of flight at this particular moment. The calm darkness didn't bring out the same sense of exhilaration as a storm, but it was nice to just glide and not have to fight gusts that could break his wings if he caught them wrong.

A flash of silver caught his gaze as it glided out from under one of the trees far below. It barely touched the ground before rising again, quickly disappearing under more of the foliage. It had probably caught whatever it had swooped for.

It must be nice to have regular hunting grounds. He veered left and downwards on a whim, letting his faint shadow cross where he thought the owl had perched. He didn't want a fight, but it was interesting to watch the reactions of smaller birds when one of his kind trespassed. Usually he would be ignored, although some did their best to drive him off. It was hard to fight against opponents that could sometimes slip right between his claws, though of course they had never succeeded. He had wanted to leave. Obviously.

Something moved on the ground in a gap between the trees and the eagle forgot the other bird of prey instantly, focused on the shape as it resolved into a wolf padding across the ground, barely more than a cub. Not all hunters flew.

He had already eaten. The cub wouldn't taste all that nice. The gap in the branches was barely big enough for him to fit through. All good reasons for not pulling his wings in and executing a sharp stoop, all ignored.

He steered with tiny shifts of his weight as the ground accelerated towards him, judging the movements of the wolf and the breezes that pushed him gently off his planned path and correcting accordingly without even thinking. Just as he began to spread his wings to catch himself, the wolf's head snapped up. Golden lupine eyes flashed, and talons aimed for the neck thudded into grassy ground instead. He whirled to strike with his beak, but the grey shadow was already out of range and showing no signs of slowing down.

Aurhîn let out a frustrated chirp and resettled his feathers.

Stupid wolf. Stupid breeze. Stupid forest, hiding the prey.

He turned and was about to unfold his wings to take off again when a flash of orange distracted him. It was hard to see into the shadowed canopy, hard to make out what was bark and needles and what wasn't. But the orange eyes were hard to miss.

Thunder and hail. It was more a frustrated hiss than anything else, spoken in the half-movement, half-noise language of the feathers and wings. He hoped that the owl - at least, he thought it was an owl - hadn't seen the failed hunt. What are you looking at?

((ooc: wow, this turned out longer than I thought it would. Rambling is awesome. I love it, same to you regarding stuff to work with!))

(#FFE600)

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:54:00 AM »
As the night progressed and nothing happened, Dénor sat in the darkness of the witching hour. His orange eyes glaring out from the tree in which he was perched, observing everything that was to be observed. This was his territory, no one who came in or out went unnoticed under his watchful orange gaze. As time passed slowly the large owl decided he had better move on to a different part of his territory. But, just as he was about to stretch his wings and take flight there was movement down below in foliage of the green forest. Shifting his head he looked down to see what the moonlight would reveal to him. But of course, I should have known! Wretched wolves.[/i] The glowing white pelt, silver by the moonlight, moved swiftly through the forest. It was only a pup, a meal to Dénor! Like deer… or even his own kind. Everything was prey when you were a predator at the top of the food chain no matter what animal thought it was above him. Ugh, unless you’re a horse… then you think you own everything! Selfish brutish beasts.[/i] Dénor added to his last thought.

Dénor’s selfish streak normally came out of nowhere. His narcissistic attitude had always been a part of him since the day he hatched. He was now looking ahead to see if more wolves were following this one. Floating swiftly down to a lower branch in an attempt to get a better view he thought of how his master was doing. Hopefully there are no large brutish Orc-wolfs attacking the camp at this hour.[/i] Pausing, the Eagle Owl cast his hearing about the forest. Nothing could be heard above the sound of the crickets and the wolf-pup moving down below. The pup doesn’t seem to be a threat. He observed quietly.

It wasn’t until a brisk breeze blew through the trees that Dénor gripped his branch tighter to keep from toppling over the edge and falling to the forest floor. Then, he heard the sound of feathers accompanying the breeze. Curiosity gripped every inch of Dénor’s being, would this intruder be eaten by the wolf-pup down below? His orange gaze searched for the familiar movement of birds wings and the four legged animal. Ah-ha! This was thrilling! A wolf was about to take down his prey! Intense were his orange eyes as he watched the pup reach up and take a well aimed snap at the bird. Unfortunately the large bird managed to stay just out of reach of the beasts jaws.

Dénor straightened up his eyes gave off of an approving, yet seemingly disapproving, look as the eagle – he now deduced – gave a frustrated chirp and landed in a tree not far from where the owl was seated. Blinking slowly he ignored the wolf trotting off to pout about missing a possible meal and focused on the eagle. Thunder and hail, it hissed, What are you looking at? Dénor didn’t like the tone of this eagle. It irritated him! Should he respond? Was it wise?

What am I looking at? Dénor’s hoot was smooth, yet gruff sounding, I was merely musing over… your failed hunt. Or, was it the wolf’s? It was hard to tell from where I am perched! Amusing none the less. Snidely said, this was all Dénor could think to reply to. Soon enough, though, a hoot of laughter – short lived – escaped him and his eyes glowed in mockery. If anything I’d say that was poorly handled!

out of cookies:
If there isn't enough for you to work with, let me know.

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
What am I looking at? It took roughly one smooth, smug hoot for Aurhîn to decide that he did not like the owl. Perhaps he should have been slightly more polite to begin with - after all, he was the trespasser here - but it took a special type of arrogance to respond like this owl had to an irritated Great Eagle. And he - odd, for a male to be so large - didn't stop there.

I was merely musing over… your failed hunt. Or, was it the wolf’s? It was hard to tell from where I am perched! Amusing none the less. Aurhîn stared for a moment at the owl, unable to process what the other bird of prey was saying. Was he blind? Had he hatched from a cracked egg? The wolf had run in fear, and was probably still running! It was as though the nocturnal raptor was trying to antagonise him, which made absolutely no sense. He was oversized for his species, and Aurhîn wasn't exactly large for his, but the owl's full wingspan would barely have been as wide as the eagle's tail. Aurhîn could have easily curled one taloned foot around the owl's body and crushed him. Now there was an appealing thought... He shook it off and snapped his beak angrily, yellow eyes blazing in reflected moonlight. Before he could make a verbal response, the arrogant little eagle owl (The earthbound races came up with some incredibly inappropriate names for them. Eagle owl. That was an insult to eagles.) gave a laughing hoot and continued.

If anything I’d say that was poorly handled! Again, there was a moment of shock that one bird could be so conceited. And stupid. He was an owl, not even an eagle! At least some of them were justified in having high opinions of themselves. The surprise passed quickly into anger, and the urge to get a height advantage suddenly intensified. The owl probably wasn't stupid enough to actually attack him, but Aurhîn always felt uneasy when he was below another hunter. Height was needed partially for the physical advantage but also for the psychological one. Generally, the highest perch belonged to the strongest. It was an unspoken rule among raptors.

With that desire for altitude nestled in his subconscious, he unfolded huge wings and left the ground with a single flap. If the owl hadn't noticed the white patches marking his youth before, he must certainly have seen them now. The eagle flapped twice more, careful in the small space between trees and branches which thrashed pleasingly in the gusts he created. His chosen perch was just above the owl's level but still a wingspan or two away. As he gripped the thick branch with sharp talons, leaving his wings only half folded and his feathers fluffed slightly to increase his silhouette, he finally spoke. The chirps and clicks were sharp in the quiet night, carrying easily over the wind-tossed foliage moving.

Some of us actually pursue from the sky, still-hunter. I suppose when you're only flying a span or two your prey doesn't have time to get away. And you may not have noticed that wolves can move a little faster than mice and rabbits. With a huff of expelled air, he inclined his head forwards slightly. It's not like it would have been prey for the likes of you. The owl almost definitely hunted prey bigger than rabbits and might have been able to kill the barely adult wolf, but the eagle didn't feel like assuming the best of him at this moment in time.

Whose territory am I trespassing in, anyway? It suddenly occurred to him that the presence of an owl, in these parts, in spring, with time to spend insulting trespassers was odd. Perhaps he didn't have a brood, or they had yet to hatch, or had somehow already managed to mature enough to not require constant feeding... Or perhaps the owl had no more claim to this land than he did. There were a multitude of other possible situations, but Aurhîn was suddenly certain that this was the case. It would be strange indeed for a mature owl to have no territory... He was far too irked at this moment to keep his musing silent or polite.

((OOC: I hope it's okay to make it spring.))

(#FFE600)

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:18:00 AM »
Dénor watched as the eagle flapped up the highest branch, yet still in view of Dénor himself. Indeed, it was an unspoken rule in the world of flying beasts. The highest branches belonged to the strongest of their kind. But for this Cannibal, he wasn’t one to test his luck by looking foolish looking for a branch of equal height. Instead Dénor looked on as if no matter how high in the tree you went you were still below him on the food chain. He could eat the eagle for breakfast if he wanted, but a chance he wasn’t willing to take… like all the other chances that he could take. Once seated in his branch, the eagle proceeded to insult him. [color= ADBDC9]Some of us actually pursue from the sky, still-hunter. I suppose when you're only flying a span or two your prey doesn't have time to get away.[/color] Was he calling him weak? It was obvious that this bird didn’t understand who he was talking too. A predator of all, accept what his personal tastes would allow, was not something to mess with.

He didn’t foresee them having a very friendly friendship, him and this other bird. And you may not have noticed that wolves can move a little faster than mice and rabbits. Dénor would have loved to respond to that with such sarcasm as could only be provided by himself. It's not like it would have been prey for the likes of you. To this the Eagle owl narrowed his large eyes and thinned his body, taking great offence to this statement. His ear tufts were up and he indeed did look highly offended. Whose territory am I trespassing in, anyway? Dénor let out a hiss of annoyance. What was it with this bird! First he was insulting him and then asking whose territory he was trespassing on. Maybe they needed to make it an announcement that wherever Dénor was, was Dénor’s territory.

It would be strange indeed for a mature owl to have no territory...He needed to think carefully of how to respond, it wouldn’t do any good to insult him in return. That would be showing weakness of some kind, a sign that he could be bullied. No, he had to respond very carefully. A still hunter is better than a dead hunter, and any one bird who thinks otherwise should be hunted and eaten on some poor families’ dinner table. Dénor’s eyes remained narrowed and his offended posture was maintained as his words hissed from his beak, smooth, dark and to the point. Trespassing isn’t a crime if you can defend yourself well. And almost being eaten by a wolf-pup is a sad way to die. I’m sure you wouldn’t be remembered very well if it had gotten you. A kind of a smirk appeared in the owl’s eyes.

Dénor calmed himself and returned to his usual state of alertness, there may be more eagles that were friends of his lurking about in the shadows to have him for a treat.

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
At least the owl was smart enough to keep his perch and lose his height advantage. If he had moved higher, they would probably have ended up in flight as the branches that could take Aurhîn's weight were few and far between. The eagle noted the slightly ridiculous pompous expression in the owl's orange eyes, which he was beginning to doubt worked properly. It was true that eagles had better eyesight, but owls tended to hunt in the dark and this one should surely have been able to register the fact that the eagle was an awful lot bigger than him.

The owl's reactions to his words were hilarious. He tried for a moment to resist laughing at the highly offended predator, who went from being fluffy and rounded to angular in a few moments. He almost halved in size as the feathers flattened against his body. Did all owls do this? He was getting less irritated and more amused by the second, but managed to remember that he was angry and thus shouldn't be laughing.

The owl kept up his impossible posture as he hissed out a sharp retort. Aurhîn wondered how he breathed with his body all tensed like that. A still hunter is better than a dead hunter, and any one bird who thinks otherwise should be hunted and eaten on some poor families’ dinner table. Anything was better than being dead, except perhaps a life without flight. Aurhîn was getting more confused about how exactly the egotistical owl had come to be here... He had an odd grasp of social skills, he was mature and yet travelling and he was now making references to decidedly earthbound customs, like eating off tables. The only explanation was that the owl spent a lot of time with those who had no wings, yet Aurhîn couldn't think of a reason why that might be.

Trespassing isn't a crime if you can defend yourself well. The eagle's head tilted slightly. Of course trespassing wasn't a crime. There were very few things that were crimes in his experience; most disputes were simply a complex game of pride and survival where the rules depended entirely on the participants. And almost being eaten by a wolf-pup is a sad way to die. I’m sure you wouldn't be remembered very well if it had gotten you. And there, now he was angry again. Never mind the misconception that the wolf had been attacking him and not the other way round, something in there had struck a nerve - if he died, he wouldn't be remembered regardless of the circumstances. Only the exceptionally powerful or the exceptionally stupid stayed in the minds of Great Eagles. He was unlikely to be either.

He folded his wings in an unconscious gesture of uneasy irritation. His injured left foot curled, dragging the first talon along the branch as he balanced on his right. The claw raised shavings of bark, and the feeling of something being carved soothed him slightly. The orange eyes smirked at him before the owl calmed and his next words were far from friendly.

And I'm sure you will be remembered, little owl. You are after all an oddity. He hadn't been this sarcastic since... Since the last time he had come upon his sister. Apparently she wasn't the only one in Middle Earth who could bring out the worst in him. I have never met anyone with full plumage and no name. It's my time to wander, but you are old enough to take a nest. Are you not strong enough to do so? The eagle snapped his beak to end his insulting question. He assumed that owls held the same customs as eagles: no territory, no name. The words were almost identical in their language.

He glanced at the sky through force of habit, relieved to see that it was empty. Then his sharp yellow eyes caught on a patch of dimmed, shimmering stars. Smoke rising. Somewhere far off in the forest, someone had a fire. Odd. But not his concern right now. He glared again at the owl, but considered his answer complete. If it wouldn't have looked like he was giving up, he would have turned his tail to the owl and ignored his existence.

(#FFE600)

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:00 AM »
Well that is irksome! The Eagle was mocking him. He could see it in its eyes, and it bothered Dénor beyond reason. How could someone who thought they were so far above the food chain that he, an Eagle Owl, was something to be laughed at. The stranger didn’t have to chortle to make his humor clear. Yet, as much as Dénor itched to find a higher branch he decided that this needed to be taken with patience. If this Eagle was set on mocking him, though, he would find that Dénor was not some bird to be mocked easily without consequences! “And I'm sure you will be remembered, little owl.” Yes, yes he would, “You are after all an oddity.” An oddity… an oddity!?! His sarcasm was starting to really get Dénor worked up.

I have never met anyone with full plumage and no name.” What was so odd about that? “It's my time to wander, but you are old enough to take a nest. Are you not strong enough to do so?” The nerve of this bird! This wretched, wretched bird! Of course he was strong enough to take a nest; he just chose not to do so. Besides, why should he nest? He had master to travel with and he liked living on the road. Seeing the world from the sky while his master provided food, shelter and care… who wouldn’t want that!? If anything this bird was an oddity, not him! He was larger in size than a normal Eagle… if Dénor knew any better – which he would possibly soon learn – he wouldn’t mess with a Great Eagle! There were just some things in life that had to be learned the hard way.

Then it dawned on him. He had just been insulted by this… this imbecile of a bird! How in all of green Middle-Earth could he be so insulting!? It was outrageous and he was laughing, laughing!! There was never in all his life anyone so annoying. Dénor’s eyes grew wide and they filled with hate easily. Swiftly, smoothly and silently the Eagle Owl raised his standards to a brace just a little higher than the giant eagle before him. In fact he was nearly eye to eye with his opponent. Fluffed up now and twice his actual size Dénor hissed threateningly, “You dare mock me! You, sir, have trespassed into territory that you are no longer welcome in. It is no business of yours whither I roost or whither I do not. Sticking your filthy beak where it pleases you.” Who did this bird think he was, thinking he could insult him like that? “Perhaps it will amuse you to know that I am not afraid of a fight for my dignity.” He deflated a little, keeping his guard up in case this bird had had enough of him, “I am well taken care of, and I take care of myself. Rare indeed is it that you find such a specimen as I with full plumage!” He ran his orange globes over the eagle, “In the mean time, you my devilish sir, are no more fit for the slaughter houses than I am.” Dénor often thought himself above everyone else… humans, Elves, even this ghastly creature, “You look absolutely hideous. Why don’t you fly back from where you came from?

He was tired of his company, this meeting was either going to turn into an ugly battle where he did in fact loose a couple of his beautiful feathers, or the Eagle would get fed up with his squawking and just leave. Hopefully never to meet again. Dénor narrowed his eyes and gazed threateningly at his company, fully aware what was going on around him.

out of cookies;
more like out of steam. I wrote this while my brain was going 200 mph at nearly one in the morning. I'm going to pay for it later... sorry for any spelling mistakes, and please do let me know if there is anything wrong. None of what is said is of my opinion but Dénor's... he can be a little hot-headed at times. XD please excuse him...

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Aurhîn wavered on the brink between anger and amusement as the egotistical owl ballooned in size. He had realised he was being mocked and informed the eagle that he was no longer welcome here. As though he could actually enforce it. And who are you to tell me that? The owl kept ranting, too caught up in digging himself a hole to notice.

Sticking your filthy beak where it pleases you. The insult tipped the Great Eagle off the proverbial fence and made his golden eyes blaze with fury. How about in your blood? He reigned in the desire to snap the owl’s neck.

Perhaps it will amuse you to know that I am not afraid of a fight for my dignity. Apparently the idiotic little raptor hadn’t finished, though now he seemed to remember that a layer of puffed up feathers wouldn’t stop talons and grew slightly more cautious.

It does, actually. What would a little owl do against a Great Eagle of the Misty Mountains?[/i] Uncomfortably close to the southern end, but this selectively blind owl wouldn’t be able to recognise that. His tone was still sarcastic, baiting the owl, and his feathers puffed out slightly. Not even Nauroval had ever insulted him like this and he was simply waiting for the talking to end in order to launch himself into the sky. The owl would be at a distinct disadvantage with his relatively small size; he couldn’t climb as fast and height was everything in an aerial battle. One on-target grapple and he would be dead.

I am well taken care of, and I take care of myself. Rare indeed is it that you find such a specimen as I with full plumage! Aurhîn stared in something almost like shock. Taken care of. Taken care of. The owl was tame.

Well. That explained everything. No social skills, no grasp of respect, no territory, no knowledge of how things were done in the sky. The owl had probably been bred in captivity, which might have influenced his size. The poor thing had never had to be independent. He kept going on, something about slaughter houses. Aurhîn would have left the sheltered bird alone if he had stopped there. He would have shaken his head sadly, probably delivered one more veiled insult and left the owl to his delusions of grandeur and his master, who was probably around here somewhere.

You look absolutely hideous. Why don’t you fly back from where you came from? The falconer would have to live with the loss of his or her pet. The next one they acquired would probably be easier to work with, anyway.

Why don’t you? Your… He shuddered in disgust, master will surely miss your presence. Shouldn’t you go back to a cage for the night? Or do you really wish to fight a lost battle? The eagle glared for a moment longer and unfolded his wings, tensing them raised and ready to take off. He screamed. It was a challenge; a very definite one that left no room for peaceful negotiation. Fight, or live with the knowledge that you ran. One last comment, and then he would take off either to fight or find a roost with less abrasive company.

Do you need a head start? He waited for more than a few heartbeats before scooping the air with his huge wings and throwing it below him. The air seemed to draw him upwards with less effort than usual, small branches that he couldn’t avoid breaking with tiny snapping sounds. By the time the trees thrashed in the breeze he created he was already above them, climbing effortlessly. Stars above, forest below, that little shimmering plume from a fire still rising from beneath the canopy. It was a good night for flying. A pity he had ever landed and met the irksome little owl.

((OOC: Aerial battle? Just a little one. I beg you. Same comments regarding the opinions of my raptor versus my own.))

(#FFE600)

Dénor

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
The sky hadn’t changed since he had last been in it, and the giant Eagle before him was starting to really grate on his nerves… he didn’t like that. Why had he said that he would defend his honor – or something like that – in front of this bird? This… idiotic bird who had taken up his challenge! “It does actually. What would a little owl do against an Eagle of the Misty Mountains?” Plenty! The cannibalistic side of Dénor was screaming at him, and his Orange eyes, now a mixture of both red and orange, said it loud and clear. If Dénor was ever vulnerable at any point in his life it was at this moment. He was riled up and doing just about everything he could to keep his temper under control at this point. Of all the birds he had spoken with and the humans, Elves and Dwarves he had traveled with who had avian companions he had never met one so annoying. If Ginger were there to say anything he was pretty sure that she would say something along the lines of ‘Now you know how you act when you’re irrational!’ and he was would simply reply with ‘I am never irrational!’ Which was beginning to look like a lie…

Aurhîn spread his wings and gave a final challenge to which Dénor felt he had to protect. His master was not to get involved in this and if he was going to live he knew that his only chance was to return to her as soon as he could. What if she awoke and he wasn’t there? She would surely be worried for him and come to search. The poor Elf maiden wouldn’t know where to start! He felt a small pang of sympathy for his master, Dénor was fiercely loyal to those who were considered worthy enough for his loyalty, exactly to whom depended upon a lot of things but he wasn’t worried about it at the moment. If there was one thing he knew, it was that this foul beast from the Misty Mountains, apparently, was not worthy of that loyalty. Not ever! There was no way in heaven or hell that he would be loyal to this monster.

Do you need a head start?” Aurhîn forced himself up through the branches causing Dénor to cling to his for dear life. If there was one thing the Eagle Owl didn’t want to lose, aside from his master, it was his life. Dénor’s orange eyes blinked with slight fear and he was glad that by the time that happened the eagle was out of sight. Desperately he crouched where the branch met trunk of the tree thinking of his next move. If this eagle was looking for a fight he had come to the wrong place, unfortunately for Dénor he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time! Or that was how he saw it. Shuttering as the trees swayed less and less, the owl shook and fluffed his feathers. “Yes, that’s right! Run away!” He scoffed, spreading his own wings, muttering about the head start, knowing he would have needed it to keep up with the Mountain Eagle.

Quickly, silently Dénor left the tree and navigated his way this way and that, finding his way through the trees back to the camp site that Ginger had set up. His orange eyes glanced over her sleeping body, noticing that she hadn’t been disturbed by the even rise and fall of her chest. Good, she need not be disturbed now.[/i] He thought, letting a sigh escape him as he tended to himself, calming his racing heart. So long as Ginger was safe, he felt he had done his duty to her as master…

out of cookies;
I do hope it is alright! Once I started to finish with what little I had it sort of came to me, but if something is wrong with it let me know... I do hope it makes up for the wait!

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
The Great Eagle ignored the faint insulted hoots from below, instead opting for savouring the rush of cool air against his feathers. Once he had gained a little height – not much, the levels that he had to reach when fighting one of his own kind would take hours for the little owl to ascend to – he reluctantly started paying more attention to the surrounding air again.

It was empty. His head bobbed around for a good ten seconds but he couldn’t see the owl. As a diurnal creature, his night vision wasn’t the best, but the owl would have a fairly broad wingspan and his light brown and white feathers wouldn’t disguise him from above…

Coward.[/color] He half-closed his eyes in disgust. What kind of self-respecting bird ignored a challenge like that? Especially after going so far to incur it… The eagle clicked his beak. He suspected that he would never understand trained raptors. Ridiculous, demeaning, horrible life. What good is there in flying when you don’t choose where to go? Of course, given the choice between losing flight and losing freedom, he would have chosen to keep his wings. Wandering around walking constantly would have been much, much worse. But he had no cause to consider such impossible decisions as he combed through the forest with golden eyes, unconsciously correcting his course to stay level and fairly straight among the currents of air.

There! A pale flash of wings curved around a tree, only just coming into view. The cowardly little owl was going back to his master, trying to stay out of sight beneath the trees. Considering where he had come from, Aurhîn glanced along the path he was taking and saw the shivering patch of sky above what had once been a campfire. It wasn’t producing smoke any more but the ashes still warmed the air, meaning that while the campsite would seem hidden from the ground it was still obvious from the sky.

The owl had clearly declined his challenge. That did not mean that the hot-headed young eagle was going to let him go; he was all ready to do something now and no prey seemed forthcoming. Insults like those he had just endured couldn’t go unpunished. And he was curious, in a disgusted sort of way, about what kind of person would take up falconry and furthermore, what kind of person would put up with such an irritating pet. Maybe he could just swoop down and scare them a little… No, he was a proud member of a proud race and this had to be done properly. He would politely enquire as to why the owl didn’t want to fight, thoroughly terrify him as a reminder of why he really shouldn’t have insulted a Great Eagle and inform the falconer, if he or she appeared, that their pet really needed to be taught manners. Of course, he had neither the patience nor the social skills to achieve this plan but at least he had bothered to make one.

He angled his wings slightly and began a wide, circling descent, calculated without thinking so that he would land exactly where he wished. The owl glided across the edge of the clearing and settled himself in a birch tree. Aurhîn adjusted his course slightly. Fresh spring leaves made it hard to tell, but the birch seemed to be fairly sturdy. It could probably take his weight.

It took several minutes to reach canopy level at his lazy pace and he approached the tree from the direction of the rest of the forest rather than the side with the clearing. This way, the owl probably wouldn’t see him coming. His feet uncurled and talons clenched around the main trunk where it forked near the top. It held, but the wood was flexible.

Aurhîn was not a mature eagle. He was still well below the age at which territory or status was generally taken up, and it would be many years before his wings lost the white flashes of youth. He was young and reckless and prone to doing things that would cause the Chieftains of the Misty Mountains to shake their stately heads sadly, privately remembering the days when they had done something similar but never saying so. With a mischievous glint in his yellow eyes, pupils dilated in the dark, he tensed his muscles and flapped his wings. The tree groaned and the leaves rustled in panic. He waited a moment and did it again, a bigger flap that made the locked tendons in his legs strain and his shoulders pull upwards. And again. As he wasn’t in the centre of the beech but off to one side, the whole thing swayed. Branches rattled off each other and the fresh green leaves thrashed about as though in a gale as the Great Eagle acted like a child trying to get out-of-reach fruit. Aurhîn folded his wings after a few minutes of chaos and waited for the swaying to stop, glancing down curiously to try and see if the owl had died of fright.

You lied earlier about being willing to fight for your dignity. I don’t like being lied to – or insulted. Care to come out of hiding and face me properly, little pet?

((OOC: He’s so happy and adorable when he gets to be immature. Is it alright for this to be set about T.A 2927/8? Spring of 2928, mayhaps?))

(#FFE600)

Dénor

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
It came like a storm! How some birds could be so immature sometimes! Surely his size gave off the impression that he was a mature being much older than Dénor himself, something he could respect if the Eagle would just act like it instead of acting his age! But, one of the things that the small owl didn’t take into consideration was the bird’s plumage.  The eagle was indeed still young, but if Dénor’s feathers could have gotten any whiter they would have. His black spots would be bright white and he would have aged several bird years considering everything that suddenly decided to happen all at once. In all the confusion sticks and leaves fell around him and clattered to the ground below and his orange eyes darted around in panic as he gripped tightly, sinking his claws into the bark as far as they would go without getting stuck. His small heart quickened in pace and for a moment Dénor saw more than the twinkling stars of the night sky before his eyes. It was like they had doubted suddenly and it didn’t seem to stop until his predator had stopped pitching a hissy-fit.

The tree swayed to a stop, but it took some time as Aurhîn had shaken the tree too much. When would the world decide to stop spinning? The owl wondered, carefully relaxing his claws from the branch they were clinging to so desperately. Then the Great Eagle’s voice came from above, “You lied earlier about being willing to fight for your dignity. I don’t like being lied to – or insulted. Care to come out of hiding and face me properly, little pet?” Him? Lied!? Never! Dénor wasn’t a liar and he had most certainly not lied to this wretched monster who thought himself a bird. He could defend his dignity, but he didn’t remember saying when or where he would do so. Oh sure, Dénor had gotten the idea that the Eagle had wanted to go at it since he opened his beak about such a thing, but Dénor often did things on his own time and didn’t like it when others tried to push him into things or twist around his words for their benefit… not that Aurhîn had done such thing, but it was close enough! Swinging his head up, he looked in the eagle’s direction and narrowed his orange eyes to a glare.

It was too dark, even with the moon, to see, but Dénor held back a rather rude response but thought better of it as their squawking might wake his master from her much needed sleep. She would have a long ways to travel in the morning and after this long night he would need somewhere safe to sleep for the next couple of months! Though he didn’t know it, but he would have trouble sleeping for more than a couple of months.

The shaking of the tree hadn’t woken the sleeping Elf, but the clattering of sticks had and the sharp clattering on the stones broke into her dreamless sleep and she woke with a start. The point of sleep was to get some, and Ginger was less than pleased to have been woken up by someone or something throwing sticks from trees… if those had been sticks? Maybe they were swords scraping against the rock. Her eyes widened and a slender hand carefully reached for the ivory handle of one of her knives and waited for something to happen. When nothing did happen she looked around and her keen ears were tuned for the sound of approaching footsteps…

Again when none came she relaxed a bit and sighed. Whatever had made the noise was, in her mind, gone now, but just before she lay back she caught the glimmer of orange eyes. Dénor had moved from tree to tree, then. “If you’re causing me to lose sleep, Dénor I swear I’m going to kill you in the morning.” She muttered, not noticing the giant black silhouette of the bird that was after her owl. Turning to her side she rested her head back on her make shift pillow and curled up, pulling her blanket close.

out of cookies;
Hope there is enough here and don't worry, I think it is kinda cute! ;D hehe.

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Aurhîn waited. And waited. And waited some more. The little owl did nothing. The eagle wasn’t the most patient being in Middle Earth, but on this occasion he only glanced down and continued to wait expectantly. The only response was a glare of orange eyes that glowed in the starlight. It was hard to tell how far down the owl was perched, but at least that was confirmation that he was in the right tree.

Just as he was getting truly impatient – it had been well over ten seconds, had the owl gone to sleep? – Something moved below and drew his yellow eyes. His night vision wasn’t much better than a human’s but that shadowy bundle looked distinctly wingless. Not wingless as in it didn’t have wings, more that it was sentient and earthbound – an elf, dwarf, hobbit, that sort of thing. It moved slightly and the eagle watched intently for several minutes, wondering if it could see him.
 It relaxed, much to his disappointment, and a tired female voice floated through the night air.

“If you’re causing me to lose sleep, Dénor I swear I’m going to kill you in the morning.” Aurhîn laughed, his voice light and chirping but quiet. Dénor, then. The owl had a name. And one that sounded like Rohirrim, for some reason. The wingless shifted, her movements clear and clashing with the noises of the forest. Should she be dragged into this? Probably. It was her fault for bringing the egotistical little owl here and letting him cross paths with Aurhîn. He carefully considered his next words, meticulously choosing a sentence that he could say without any problems.

“You would be doing the world a service.” His slightly amused voice was easily loud enough for her to hear. The eagle didn’t wait for her to respond, instead loosening his grip on the branch and jumping down to the next one that would support his weight, wings steering and letting the air cushion him but nowhere near actual flight. He waited for the swaying from his added weight to stop before moving sideways along the branch, looking for Dénor’s smug orange eyes. He had to get the owl out of the tree, catch him in flight. If that proved impossible, he would certainly find a way to give him a reason not to antagonise the next Great Eagle he met.

Isn’t hiding a bit below even the likes of you?[/color] His clicks were directed towards the shadows near the trunk; the helpful orange eyes that had clearly marked his position had disappeared. Thinking that he had found Dénor – stupid dappled feathers made good camouflage against the bark, but this bulge seemed distinctly owl-shaped – the eagle spread one wing until it extended far enough (still half folded, he wasn’t made for tree-dwelling) and swept it sideways into the bulge, using the broad front edge to try and tumble the owl off the branch.

((OOC: That can be a bit of tree with Dénor perched somewhere else entirely if you wish. Feel free to attack Aurhîn’s wing a bit if it is him; it’s hardly going to damage their beautiful friendship at this stage XD Hope it’s okay and sorry it’s a bit short, if anything needs changed do tell me.))

(#FFE600)

Dénor

• Creatures
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Dénor never thought that he would have to actually come to grips with a giant Eagle. The bird obviously thought himself better than everyone else because of his size. Dénor understood honor, but he also understood desire. Together desire usually outweighed honor and whenever honor outweighed desire, you must have really been willing to place your life in enemy hands and trust that wither or not you came out of it alive that something good was going to come out of it! Nothing and absolutely nothing good would come out of his death, no sir! This owl was no fool, though his threats were ever as foolish as the intent behind them. Not everything he said or did was done with an honorable intention, no; it was usually done for his own amusement. Teasing Ginger and making her life horrible was just one of those things that greatly amused him, recently though, he begun to get bored of it. Often Dénor found himself getting bored with the regular and obsolete, so why this didn’t interest him was a question for later.

The Eagle was going to be foolish enough to try and pursue him? The minute Dénor had gotten back to his master he tried his best to try and alert her to the goings ons, even if there was very little that she could do to protect him from a gigantic Eagle. Her nasty comment on his waking her fazed him little, as well as he knew Ginger, he knew this was an empty threat that she would never carry out! He wouldn’t let her and he had every intention of never letting her. Then, from above he heard the top of his tree rustle. Heart palpitating he felt the suddenness of fear; it sent his heart racing a little faster than it should have, and his eyes widened with shock.

You would be doing the world a service.” The Eagle said, and was that amusement in his voice? Dénor’s orange eyes narrowed in annoyance, was there nothing that this young eagling could take seriously? Matters weren’t generally taken into Dénor’s own claws, but in this case he had the eerie feeling that he would end up doing so. Ginger, on the other claw, was now sitting bolt up and looking around for the being that had spoken, curiosity, fear and caution were mixed in with several other unidentified feelings. How silly could she be? No wonder everyone berated her, let alone hated her, or extremely disliked her… at least once they got to know her as more than just a pretty face.

Distracted from his thoughts by a series of translated clicks, Dénor looked, saw all he needed and before he could begin to brace himself for whatever might happen next he felt a brush of wind as the Eagle tried to sweep him out of the tree. Startled by this, Dénor felt the familiar sensation of falling, his gut was in his gizzard and his eyes were wide with fear as his life flashed before his eyes. Struggling to try and expand his wings and catch the air as he fell, he heard Ginger speak, “A-and… great- What the- Why- How-Stop your babbling, Ginger!!!What is going. On?” The emphasis on the last two words was all Dénor heard when he hit the ground at the base of the tree. That was going to hurt later.

Seemingly paralyzed, the spotted owl lay on the ground in a daze, the world spinning in a borage of moonlight and shadow, with the twinkling light of the stars mixed in, and perhaps a few clouds, it was difficult to tell if it was going to rain or not. Dénor didn’t moan, and he didn’t move. Being winded was no fun, especially when you were supposed to be the master of it… at least in as sense.

Ginger had move from her sleeping place to stare and gawk at the giant bird that had managed to maneuver its way into the small clearing she called ‘camp’. What sort of trouble had her feathered… not exactly… friend gotten into now? It just had to be him, it couldn’t be anyone else that had attracted the attention of this bird. Unable to think straight, Ginger tucked a piece of loose hair behind her Elvish ears and shifted from one foot to the other, trying to find words to say that wouldn’t sound dumb… which was difficult…

o o c |
Sorry about the extremely late reply, Blue!!! I wasn't sure how to word/work this post! D: I hope it is alright and if anything needs to be changed or added, let me know!

Aurhîn

• Eagles
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Aurhîn chirped in triumph as his wing collided with the soft-wrapped mass of a living being. Dénor was swiped off the branch and fell through the air tumbling around pleasingly, like a feather. The eagle kept the wingless in his peripheral vision as he smugly watched the owl’s uncontrolled descent; now sitting bolt upright and attempting, as all wingless did when confused, to narrate the situation in hopes that that would make everything make sense again.

“A-and… great- What the- Why- How… What is going. On?” Dénor hit the ground with a nice muffled thump and Aurhîn laughed again before sliding off the branch and into the air, turning as tightly as he could in order to make it down without colliding with any trees. He landed perfectly, massive wings folding in mere seconds with a rush of air that countered the one from the flight itself. No nervousness to keep them loose and ready to use; the owl hadn’t moved since crashing and he hadn’t yet considered the chance of the wingless protecting its pet.

Speaking of her, she was staring at him now with an expression of intense confusion. Aurhîn glared imperiously back, though he didn’t try to keep the spark of amusement out of his gaze. This was turning into quite a good night.

She raised a hand and he reshuffled his feathers instinctively, but she was only tucking a strand of hair behind a pointed ear. Wait. Pointed? But that didn’t sound like an elf…[/color] Were there two earthbound people down here? This oddly unsure elf and the female human who must have been talking? No, he’d have noticed. They were somehow one and the same.

The eagle shook his head for a short moment, still keeping his yellow-eyed gaze on the elf. She could probably see better than him, in this light. So could the owl. Unusual for him to have the worst eyesight in a group, though he hastened to add to himself that it was only because night currently reigned. He dipped his head the tiniest bit to acknowledge her presence and then moved across to the base of the tree. Dénor still hadn’t moved. Aurhîn wondered if the owl was so fragile that a little fall like that had killed him, and felt slightly disappointed. As he moved, he spoke. Sindarin sounded even more awkward on his tongue than Westron, but the few phrases he was willing to use were easy enough to pronounce. Le suilon, Elf. I am sorry, but your oh’el-owl insulted me.” The words worked almost perfectly and Aurhîn preened internally. See, he could speak Westron. All it took was a sentence conveniently free of the sounds he couldn’t say.

He brightened more when he picked out the rise and fall of breath in the owl’s mottled chest. You could try apologizing. It might work.[/color] Actually, it wouldn’t. But it would make Aurhîn happier. He pinned the owl with his gaze and kept his weight on his right foot, damaged left ready to grab the owl if he tried to get away.

((OOC: It is lovely! I’m sorry about Aurhîn. He’s just getting steadily less mature. Same regarding things needing changed; if they do, tell me~ Also, ‘le suilon’ = ‘I greet you’, though Ginger may not know this.))

(#FFE600)

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Ruffled Feathers
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
    [ooc: Longer than I expected it to be, I hope you like it and ... sorry it took forever to respond! D: I hope it was worth the wait, Blue!][/li][/list]
    When Dénor smacked to the ground he lost consciousness. The world a blurring black mess with voices he didn’t recognize saying phrases he understood, commands he had heard in the past, and events that would never have taken place even in his deepest mind. A burst of color here and there and he could have sworn that Ginger’s face had been in this dream once or twice. It was like his life was flashing before his eyes, every scene and every situation… but the end results were different here! When he came out of is comma he would not be able to remember exactly what went on, but one thing was for sure… he would not hold back to attack that wretched flying beast that called himself a Great Eagle! This was a mercy that he didn’t deserve, and the eagle needed to be a taught a lesson in, well, something!

In the real world, however, Ginger was just getting past the grogginess of being suddenly woken up to realize that indeed her camp was being visited by a Great Eagle from the mountains. But, what was he doing all the way out here? She watched him circle the camp, his eye on her and whoever had been in the tree. The Elf heard the thump, but she couldn’t figure out what it was. However, her mind was slow, and all pieces that were supposed to be fitting together she was denying. Dénor couldn’t have possibly ruffled the feathers of this Great Eagle! Surely he was smarter than that. Even the possibility of such a thing was, well, ridiculous to her! She had brought him up to be better than this!

The eagle landed somewhere and Ginger watched. He seemed to be amused by her confusion. But she stared on, never having seen such a large eagle before. The people of Rohan didn’t have such stories about large birds, but if she had known she would have been looking on in admiration instead of confusion and just about to the breaking point of fear. To her, this eagle could probably snatch her up and eat her for a midnight snack, even though it was probably just beyond that hour. Her body was trembling as she looked through the shadows, waiting. But for what she did not know, exactly. She had never heard of birds being able to speak the common tongue or any language except their own. Being completely new to the traveling experience, she wasn’t prepared for what happened next.

The giant bird inclined his head towards her before moving across the base of the tree. He, ah or she, must have been eyeing something that was down there before speaking to her. “Le suilon, Elf.” Ah, Pardon? “I am sorry, but your oh’el-owl insulted me.” It wasn’t being called and Elf that bothered Ginger was the Elvish before the sentence. For the longest time, and as far back as she could remember, she had been taught the language of Rohan. It was rather a mysterious thing, and Elf not knowing Elvish, but she really didn’t bother with it and when the fact was bandied about like a child’s play thing, she felt really embarrassed that didn’t know what was being said. Especially if she was expected to reply! Talk about awkward.

However, the girl could talk for hours about nothing on end, was speechless. Her mind seemed to stop registering that the creature had spoken to her and instead she stared, bewildered and bemused that such a thing was really taking place. Ginger opened her mouth, and shut it again, not sure what to say, or, how to even correlate a response. This new adventure was staring at her in the face, a new experience, something she could bring home to her family! (Well, adopted family anyways.) But, exactly how she was going to go about creating something from this to tell anyone without coming across as crazy was still in the making. Her silence towards the Eagle was growing steadily longer, so when she decided to speak it seemed like an eternity since she had done so, though it had only been about four or five minutes. “My… owl insulted you?” that wasn’t a sentence you heard every day.

Dénor had not yet been gifted (or cursed) with the ability to speak. So, anyone messing with the Owl, anywhere, anytime and did I mention anyone, was in for a clawing. Her bird had high ideals, which was evident. The way he carried himself, the way he glared about at everything he considered at threat, the way he would take to certain people. All of that was an indication of his taste, mood and being. They hadn’t been in many towns, small villages and only to stay the night where she could, so it was difficult to actually find trouble this early in her, presumed, new life. But conflict between everyone and her companion was something she didn’t know she was going to have to get used to quickly.

But, now that it came to her mind she wondered what he meant by ‘I’m sorry’. Her eyes shifted to the base of the tree, back to the eagle and then back to the base. Moving closer, cautious of the large Eagle, she wondered exactly what was going on and what had occurred while she slept. Dénor was her night watchman; it was his duty to alert her to anything that seemed suspicious and/or dangerous. “I do not believe,” Ginger started to say, her voice cracking a bit with nervousness, “I understand what you mean. I am new to all this, you see and I do not wish to be an annoyance.” Though, she probably already was annoying the creature, “But, I think an explanation is due.” She crossed her arms and looked expectantly up at the Great Eagle for an explanation. His broken Common Tongue didn’t faze her one bit, she was clever, and she could figure out what he was saying… she hoped.  

* Tagbox

Refresh History
    • Nauroval: Open thread for assistance from any in Rohan/Near Fangorn! Removing an arrow from the wing of a Great Eagle and getting to possibly speak to her and meet Shadowfax due to it! :smile: [link]
      May 22, 2020, 12:08:54 AM
    • Nienna: Open thread for LotR time line, for Sahib: [link]
      May 20, 2020, 02:44:11 AM
    • Nienna: Oh la la, a post! [link]
      May 20, 2020, 02:38:53 AM
    • Sauron: Reply for Saruman [link]
      May 12, 2020, 09:02:52 AM
    • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Trenardir [link]
      May 09, 2020, 07:46:26 AM
    • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Elrond [link]
      May 09, 2020, 05:04:57 AM
    • Bard: Don't feel disheartened. The thread is open to anyone, including Bain. I've also made a slight change to the last paragraph. I hope it helps you in joining the thread.
      May 06, 2020, 08:34:45 AM
    • Nienna: Oh! Was about to toss Bain at Pappa, but after reading the last paragraph... hmmm...
      May 06, 2020, 03:32:31 AM
    • Bard: Open thread at Laketown for anyone with a reason to be there during a cold winter night
      May 01, 2020, 01:40:22 AM
    • Saruman: Starter for Sauron [[link]]
      April 30, 2020, 06:27:20 AM
    • Gandalf: Open thread at the Shire for any and all Hobbits
      April 29, 2020, 09:20:22 PM
    • Faramir: Reply for Éomer! [link]
      April 23, 2020, 03:40:13 PM
    • Faramir: Starter for Boromir! [link]
      April 22, 2020, 12:47:38 PM
    • Nienna: [link] open thread!
      January 14, 2020, 04:33:41 AM
    • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis