* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • thatguy2: hey all, hope you're doing well
    January 10, 2021, 02:53:55 AM
  • Gard: *snugs Hades* <3
    September 08, 2020, 01:53:19 PM
  • Nienna: lord have mercy on my stressed soul...
    September 04, 2020, 01:34:16 PM
  • Dory: And one for Hera/Elladan. :3
    August 03, 2020, 05:53:40 AM
  • Dory: Finally got to Cirdan's plotter, Guiga. <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:31:01 AM
  • Gard: I'm good! ^^ Hope you had fun! <3
    July 31, 2020, 09:58:18 PM
  • Ristiinna: Back from my camping trip. How's everyone?
    July 30, 2020, 09:38:19 PM
  • Nienna: Becca! I’ll work on a Ren post when I get off work! ❤️
    July 24, 2020, 11:39:33 PM
  • Nienna: Hello hello!
    July 24, 2020, 11:39:03 PM
  • Nienna: <3
    July 20, 2020, 02:57:05 AM
  • Guiga: No problem, Hades. I'm still catching up on posts as well.
    July 19, 2020, 05:17:39 AM
  • Nienna: oh my god it's embarrassing how long that took me to get out, Guiga! </3 I am SO SO SO SO SO sorry! But some things happened, and all should be good to go again.
    July 18, 2020, 05:56:29 PM
  • RonnieRoo: Wowie!
    July 15, 2020, 10:03:00 PM
  • Hera: @Ari. Your reply is posted as well. Next is Gard's as Pellavan.
    July 12, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
  • Hera: Wrong account.
    July 12, 2020, 08:40:20 AM
  • Gandalf: @Dory. I hope you find the dogs.
    July 12, 2020, 08:39:54 AM
  • Ari: (Marbys & Gard) Got my post out! *shoots confetti cannon* I do believe Gard is next. :)
    July 12, 2020, 07:58:12 AM
  • Ari: (Dory) Aw, I do hope your puppers are okay ;_;
    July 12, 2020, 02:16:14 AM
  • Ari: I've been distracted binge-watching Bob's Burgers, ngl  X'D  My post for Ann & Naur -Marbys & Gard- is a'comin!
    July 12, 2020, 02:14:24 AM
  • Dory: I'm going to try and start writing on my day off next week tho.
    July 11, 2020, 11:28:12 AM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: Gone With the Wind  (Read 1971 times)

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
  • Application: Plotter
Gone With the Wind
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
[ooc:: Hey! So, I figured there would be a few secluded parts of Rivendell where people could go to get some peace and quiet, this is one of those spots. Nothing special! ^^b hope you like the title... XD I couldn't think of anything better. If anything needs to be changed let me know.]

After her encounter with Castamir earlier that morning, Ginger returned to her room and carefully put herself back in bed. The rest of the morning she lay there. Staring at the ceiling and listening to the silence of the room she couldn’t get him off her mind. Everything that had gone on between them was as fresh the morning dew that had been settling on the grass, leaves and flowers that grew all around Rivendell. Sighing, she turned over and tried to burry herself in the covers and get a little more sleep before the breakfast bell. She closed her eyes.

The morning light filtered through the window at long last. It felt like days since she had crawled into bed, the hours creeping by so slowly. She had tossed and turned all night, pretty sure she was looking worse than she had this morning. Finally unable to stand the stuffy room (was it really stuffy?) she threw the covers off and stretched carefully before crawling out of the bed. Grabbing a blanket she wrapped it around her shoulders and stepped outside into the fresh, cool morning air. Had it really almost been a week since she had been in this dreadful place? A week was too much for her to be in an Elvish settlement, especially one where everyone was keen on keeping their noses in the air and not talking like a regular being.

Ginger wasn’t graceful at all, considering she was an Elf. Every time she tripped over something, or dropped something, or slipped like a clumsy oaf, the more she believed that someone had messed up her race entirely! Of course, it didn’t help that her memory had completely vanished and she didn’t know where it had gotten off to. (Did ones memory really do that? Get lost and never come back?) All the pain and headaches she got every single time someone spoke to her in Elvish made her want to return to Rohan. To see her family again and tend to the horses while she rested up. Of course, she would have to talk to Mrs. Opal about finding someone else to trade the apples in and out of Rohan and Gondor, but that wouldn’t be too difficult. There were several people looking to get into a trading business these days.

As Ginger walked down the long corridor she thought of these things. Too bad, if she had been paying attention to where she was going she would have realized that she wasn’t headed towards the dining hall at all! Instead she was in some part of Rivendell she hadn’t explored yet. The long cold hallways seemed to branch off (like the rest of the hall ways in the place it seemed) to nowhere in particular. Stopping, she looked around and listened for anything that might be familiar.

Nothing.

Nothing at all was familiar! She let out an aggravated sigh and crossed her arms over her chest. Slowly and more cautiously she proceeded down a hallway that looked promising. From the other end she could hear something, or someone, moving about and the distant sound of birds chirping away in the early morning. Isn’t there a waterfall or something? Why haven’t I been there yet? Maybe Casswyn would- oh, no she would be too busy with Master Haereldir. Yes, she had noticed they had been spending a lot of time together. Not that Haereldir wasn’t a pleasant person to be around, she quite liked his company! But she often boiled that line of thinking down to simply being because he was man and not elf. Despite his bloodlines.

Reaching the other end of the hall, it seemed that Ginger had come to a dead end. When she looked left, there was only a wall with a chair, and when she looked right there was something similar, though it looked more promising. Taking a right she walked down the leaf littered walk. To right was nothing but a wall, and to her left was an open space filled with trees. The wind sighed through them and strangely enough, she felt at peace in the quiet. No one to question her in Elvish about why she was there, and to rush her off back to civilization and mingle.

Breathing in the lush forest scents, Ginger leaned on the rail and indulged herself in the moment. Not thinking for a moment that someone could come along at any minute to disturb the peace.

played by: Hades speech color: B3C963 siggy made by: Pip!

Lindir

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Alura
  • Plotter: Plotter
Gone With the Wind
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:32:00 AM »
So far, it had been a peaceful day.  No accidents or emergencies, no unannounced visitors suddenly needing housing and provisions.  Honestly, Lindir was thankful for days like these.  It meant he was doing his job, and doing it well.

But...

...it wasn't even time for breakfast, yet.

Things could change.

He'd meant to head out to one of his favorite spots, one rarely occupied even by those who knew it existed, and enjoy a bit of reading in the gently slanting light.

It was with some surprise that he halted there, just within a curving arch of the arcade, half-hidden in a slip of shade, a thin-bound book tucked snug in the crook of his arm.  Someone else seemed to be enjoying his little refuge.

Lindir knew who she was; it was his duty to know such things, after all.

"Fair morning," he bade her, voice quiet and polite, not meant to startle.  He slipped easily into his role of caretaker.  "Is there anything I might do for you?"

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Gone With the Wind
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:51:00 AM »
[ooc :: short.]

Who knows how long she had been standing there. Not really paying attention to much of anything that was going on around her. The silence was welcome, well almost welcome. It wasn’t the same silence from earlier in her room. It was different… somehow. The birds were chirping softly and the light slanted through the trees giving the area a warm glow. She hadn’t hear him come in. In fact he was the last person she would expect to be in a place like this.

Fair morning.” Eyes wide, she spun around and nearly tripped over the hem of the dress she was wearing. She grabbed the rail to steady herself, “Is there anything I might do for you?” she gazed at the Elf before her. Why are you think of him like that? For all you know, you could be kin. You are kin… in a way. She scolded herself. She had lived for so long among the race of men that it was foreign to her to think of any other Elf as some sort of family she didn’t remember. But he looked nothing like her. He couldn’t have been related in the least bit. I don’t care what other people say. She added silently.

The silence was no longer a peaceful silence, but an awkward silence. As Ginger observed him, she noted the book he had tucked away, and assumed that he intended to read it before breakfast. (What else would anyone be doing with a book? Hardly going about burning them in secret!)

I am a bit lost.” She murmured loud enough for him to hear her. It felt awkward talking to him, since all he ever did was tend to people. The last time she had seen him was in passing and he was going about helping others get on with their lives. If he was someone important, she wouldn’t know. But, she reasoned, He had been polite. And he had been! Standing there in his Elvish garb, with his Elvish hair and Elvish cheekbones protruding from his face. Anyone else would have thought him handsome, maybe. But, living among men for so long had curbed her taste and she preferred not to dabble in that sort of thing.

“They haven’t served breakfast yet, have they?” She asked, tired of the long silence between them, “I’m… Ginger by the way. And you?” She didn’t wait for him to answer before her questions popped out one after the other. “I’ve seen you around here. What is it that you do, exactly?” She leaned on the rail, relaxing herself and folding her arms. The way he held himself was annoying, and she wished he wasn’t so ramrod straight! Elves never slouched, she noticed. They were always graceful. And then there was herself….

Lindir

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Gone With the Wind
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:42:00 AM »
"No one is ever truly lost here in Imladris," he said gently.  "It is in the peace here that one is often found."  Lindir ventured a couple of steps closer, drawing up along the railing as well, little more than an arm's reach away - respectful of her personal space.  A touch of a genial smile lingered about his mouth, softening the sharp, elvish angles of his face somewhat.

His eyes moved away from her, glance skirting out over the softly swaying trees, the cool shadows of the hall down which he'd come.  "No, they have not yet served," he replied smoothly, by way of answering her inquiry regarding breakfast.  "Though, it should not be much longer."

He set his book down atop the stone railing.  A slim glint of sunlight sparked across gold-embossed script.  Some ancient title picked out in elaborate elvish script.  His fingertips moved idly, from tracing over the time-worn leather and onto the cooler stone.  It was just as smooth as the book's cover, really - almost silken to the touch.

"I am Lindir," he said, offering a formal introduction, turning dark eyes on her.  His hand lifted, touching lightly at his chest, a small nod of his head.  "I serve my Lord Elrond in any way I am able.  I see to his household and to the comfort of his guests, such as yourself, Ginger."

An interesting name, he thought, for one of his kindred.  Though, it would be rude at this point to inquire of the circumstances in which she'd acquired such a... non-elven moniker.  It was not a necessary thing for him to know in order to perform his duties, so he let it be.

"I understand you have come to us for healing," he added.  "How are you fairing?"

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Gone With the Wind
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »
[ooc:: Figure she could at least try to drag him off by getting him thinking... XD We shall see if she succeeds!]

So, no one got lost in … Imladris? Is that where she was? Was that the Elvish name for Rivendell? She had no idea, and she wasn’t going to embarrass herself by asking. Castamir hadn’t been that much help in trying to get her to learn Elvish. She smiled kindly at him, though. But, it faded to a slight frown as he took a few steps closer. She shifted uncomfortably, but stayed where she was. There was no point in making him feel uncomfortable just because she was… or had she already achieved that? Ginger watched Lindir closely.

No,” He answered, “They have no yet served. Though it shouldn’t be much longer.” Well at least she wasn’t going to miss breakfast after all! The smile returned to her face as she laughed nervously, “Splendid. Uh, it won’t be fruit again, will it?” Flashbacks of her first meal in Rivendell came flooding back to her, and she could feel herself blush of embarrassment, quite sure that Lindir had heard of the accident and the broken bowl of fruit. He distracted her by setting his book down gently on the rail and giving her his name. Lindir… It was a strange name to her, of course everything was strange to her here. Names and the feel. She would have much rather been at home with a hearty fire and the blanket that smelled like Léofwyn wrapped around her.

I serve my Lord Elrond in any way I am able. I see to his household and to the comfort of his guests, such as yourself, Ginger. I understand you came to us for healing, how are you fairing?

Oooh, so you’re the one who has been putting those fresh sheets on the beds – or at least overseeing that it gets done? Not really used to that… And you know my name and I know yours! Where I come from that’s counted as a little rude not to know the name of your host after you’ve been staying for more than a day!” she teased, “But don’t worry, I forgive you.” She paused for a moment before she continued, “I’m fairing… ah, fairly. Wounds seem to take a long time to heal. I’m grateful that they weren’t infected on the way down from Angmar…” She lowered her gaze to the floor and studied the dappled morning light against the cold gray floors. They reminded her of the cold snow glowing in the moonlight, and the way it reflected off the cave entrance.

Jerking her head up quite suddenly, she found herself breathing a little harder than she distinctly remembered. Her eyes darted to Lindir, and then the book with golden letters. Wonder what it says. Then she looked back up at Lindir and tilted her head. “What do you do for fun around here?” She asked.

Maybe she could drag him away on an adventure through the woods or mountain side (within Rivendell of course). She couldn’t stay still anymore, she had to do something after breakfast instead of standing around being bored and trying to read Elvish she didn’t understand…

Lindir

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Gone With the Wind
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
"Uh, it won’t be fruit again, will it?”

"There is usually fruit at table," he began, gentling his tone a little.  "But should you prefer something else, of course we shall endeavor to accommodate your tastes."  The last thing he wanted was for any guest of Imladris to feel awkward.  So, rather than call direct attention to her earlier incident, he thought it best to give her the 'out' of simply desiring something else to eat.  

“Oooh, so you’re the one who has been putting those fresh sheets on the beds – or at least overseeing that it gets done? Not really used to that… And you know my name and I know yours! Where I come from that’s counted as a little rude not to know the name of your host after you’ve been staying for more than a day!  But don’t worry, I forgive you.”

She certainly was... verbose.  A bit more so than he was used to.  Lord Elrond, while capable of great eloquence, was not one to utter more words than needed to make his point.  Lindir did his best to nod graciously, taking the teasing with his usual unruffled expression, though Ginger's shifting energies left him feeling slightly uncertain where best to direct his own.  She mentioned her injuries, and Angmar, and while he agreed that she had indeed been lucky not to suffer from rot in her wounds, or worse, on her journey away from that place, it was her next remark that helped him to steer the conversation - and hopefully, their thoughts - to better things.

"What do you do for fun around here?"

"Well," he began, favoring her with sincere thought on the matter.  His gaze turned away from her to look out instead at the beauty of the surrounding valley.  The light had grown a little, shadows beginning to creep further back, their spindly fingers of cool morning shade giving way to the warming caress of day.

Tappa-tap-tap, the drum of thoughtful fingers on the cover of his book.

"Well," he said again.  "I read, for one.  Lord Elrond has a magnificent library, and we are all granted its use."  Lips pursed, Lindir paused a moment.  "But I doubt that's the sort of thing you had in mind."  Briefly, he flashed a tiny smile for her.  Relaxing - just a little, and if you didn't know him, you might not even know it was happening - he tipped his head in what was probably the elven equivalent of a shrug.

"I don't often leave the valley, unless my Lord has a particular task which demands it.  My duties keep me closely tied to the halls here."

Idyllic perfection and pervasive peacefulness took effort, after all.

"But there are paths for walking within the valley, which may offer some diversion," he offered.

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Gone With the Wind
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
There is usually fruit at the table. But should you prefer something else, of course we shall endeavor to accommodate your tastes.” Riiiight, well that was a bit difficult as she wasn’t your typical Elf. Most of the food she ate, they didn’t have. At least, it didn’t seem like it. Ginger really didn’t like this place no matter how charming the people. Never the less, she had to suppress her dislike for a later time.

So, you know that awkward moment when the person you had no intention of talking to, you end up talking to, and all of a sudden you don’t really know what to do with yourself after you’ve talked like an idiot for about two minutes and you feel like you’ve lost them because they don’t do or say anything? That was how Ginger was feeling. The humans at least took an interest in what someone was saying, though not all the time. They would genuinely nod, laugh with you, or say something to break the tension. But it was not what Lindir was doing, and although Ginger should have known it was partly her fault, she blabbed on until she was finished. If he was feeling flummoxed, she couldn’t tell.

She asked what they did for fun, and she could have sworn she had seen his face lighten up a bit as thoughts began to trickle into his mind. It was like watching a mule pull a cart down the same... “Well…” He looked away from her and out at the scenery as the shadows. His fingers tapped on the cover of his book, and she shifted from leaning on the rail to shuffling her feet.

Well…” He began again. “I read, for one. Lord Elrond has a magnificent library, and we are all granted its use.” He paused, “But I doubt that’s the sort of thing you had in mind.” Well!!! He did know how to smile, that was a wonderful thought! Now, could he laugh? No, better not go there. She thought. Temporarily amused by this reaction, he spoke some more, “I don't often leave the valley, unless my Lord has a particular task which demands it. My duties keep me closely tied to the halls here.Aw, that’s terrible! He was now like a caged bird to her, and it made her feel bad for him. Not a very pretty bird, though. Naturally, Ginger kept in mind that it wasn’t what was on the outside that made someone pretty, or beautiful, but what was on the inside.

But there are paths for walking within the valley, which may offer some diversion.

Biting her bottom lip, Ginger thought of the options presented. She had already been to the library. So, paths it just had to be! Her eyes lit up as a thought came to her, and before she could stop herself, she blurted with a little too much enthusiasm, “[color=#ADBA9B ]So show me![/color]” She folded her arms, and her fingers fiddled with the blanket she had wrapped around herself. “The paths, I mean…” She added a little quieter and more reserved than she was used to. She had completely forgotten about eating and the fact that it was still early morning.

[ooc:: Here you go, Alura! I hope you like it... and I'm sorry for Ginger! XD]

Lindir

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Gone With the Wind
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:56:00 AM »
A less-practiced edhel might've lifted a brow at her enthusiastic agreement, and it may have scooted even higher at her current state of dress.  But, Lindir was well-versed in the art of controlling his expression, and so he simply smiled placidly, and turned away from the railing.  A hand extended in polite invitation for her to accompany him along the corridor that would lead them to the aforementioned paths.  Splashes of sunlight, broken by the slender shadows of delicate columns and graceful arches, dappled their surroundings.  The air smelled of living earth and growing things, silvery water and cool, damp stones.

"You will find there are some rather lovely views along the way."  Which seemed a bit of a redundant thing to say.  Everywhere one looked in Imladris, there was a view worthy of an artist's eye.  It was hard to rate any particular sight in the valley as better than another, and yet...

"In fact, there's one spot, near the topmost of the falls...' His voice trailed off, a bit wistful, as they walked along the halls.  Lindir caught himself, casting a glance over at Ginger, and there flickered a bit of a self-depricating smile on his face.  "Ah, but I get carried away.  That is a bit of a hard climb, and you've not yet fully recovered."

[ooc: Sorry it's so short!  But that felt a natural place to stop to let her reply.  :3]

Ginger Dúnhere

• Elves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Gone With the Wind
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
Ginger smiled back at Lindir, though she still couldn’t tell what he was thinking. All these Elves ever do is keep their expressions under control. She never stopped to think that experience and age had a thing or two to do with it. To her, it was all the same. Maybe the nature walk would do her some good, in fact, she knew it would! Casswyn was detained by other things, and she really had no one to spend time with. Lindir happening upon her was probably the best for her, and the worst  for him – if we were to be honest. At his invitation she followed him down the hall way, careful not to trip over her dress again. “You will find there are some lovely views along the way.” He commented to her. Did it really bare repeating? Oh well.

In fact, there’s one spot, near the topmost of the falls…” Was that a hint of wistfulness she caught in his voice? Lindir really did know his way around Rivendell. Where was he when she needed his company earlier trying to find her way to the kitchens? “Ah, but I get carried away. That’s a bit of a hard climb, and you’ve not yet fully recovered.” He stopped there, which caused Ginger to pause in her walking. The morning sunlight illuminated everything just so, and she had to recall the modest smile she had seen flicker across his face. Then she picked up her pace to match his once again as they walked on. What did one say to that? ‘You haven’t fully recovered’. In Ginger’s mind she didn’t really need the pampering everyone here seemed to think she needed!

Then let’s go to the falls, and we’ll take our time! If it really is as lovely as you make it sound, Lindir, then if it takes all morning and all afternoon to get there, the evening should be well spent!” She wanted to add that she didn’t need all the pampering, and that she could hold her own even with her wounds. “I’ll be fine, I promise, and I’ll take it easy, if that eases your conscience.” She went on after some thought.

Looking to him expectantly, she waited for him to react…

ooc:: From there I think you can take them wherever! If they go to the mountain, or if Lindir wants to argue with Ginger, then that's cool to. XD

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Galadriel: thread starter for Celeborn/Becca <3
    August 19, 2020, 11:22:12 AM
  • Ristiinna: Checking in on Arthfael with Ristiinná...
    August 03, 2020, 04:31:47 PM
  • Dory: Plotter tag for Elladan/Hera! <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:53:20 AM
  • Galadriel: Plotter tag for Cirdan/Guiga! <3
    August 03, 2020, 05:30:20 AM
  • Gard: For Guiga [link]
    July 24, 2020, 06:54:05 PM
  • Gard: For Ari! [link]
    July 22, 2020, 02:52:00 PM
  • Nienna: for Gard! [link] let me know if anything needs edits...
    July 20, 2020, 04:15:22 AM
  • Nienna: Far too long, but I should have more free time now: [link]
    July 18, 2020, 05:55:42 PM
  • Nauroval: Reply for Shadowfax and Annúngilel [link]
    July 17, 2020, 07:37:07 PM
  • Nienna: for Thranduil [link]
    July 17, 2020, 01:14:38 AM
  • Gandalf: Reply for Shadowfax [link]
    July 12, 2020, 08:21:28 AM
  • Ari: Reply for Gard and Marbys! [link]
    July 12, 2020, 07:56:59 AM
  • Annúngilel: Reply for Nauroval and Shadowfax [link]