• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Marbys: I’ll wait. If no one posts in a few days, I will then.
    May 23, 2020, 05:13:40 PM
  • Marbys: Sorry, I didn’t know there was something prearranged. I don’t access Discord a lot. It’s OK. I thought joining was open due to tag in the tag box.
    May 23, 2020, 05:11:06 PM
  • Gard: Can’t get to discord right now but yes that’s fine Marbys and I’ll give it a first come first serve!
    May 23, 2020, 04:42:01 PM
  • Ari: I'm fine with it Marbys. (There was ThatGuy who I think was also interested, but idk - whoever posts first I guess :P). Waiting on Gard's vote though.
    May 23, 2020, 01:03:55 AM
  • Marbys: The Fangorn thread, I mean.
    May 22, 2020, 11:25:13 PM
  • Marbys: I'm thinking about joining the Nauroval and Shadowfax with an already reformed Annúngilel. OK for you both, Ari and Gard?
    May 22, 2020, 11:24:12 PM
  • Ari: Shadowfax: *wiggles excitedly*
    May 22, 2020, 12:41:26 AM
  • Hera: New plotters ready!
    May 21, 2020, 11:32:10 PM
  • Hades: :P sure thing.
    May 21, 2020, 09:49:40 PM
  • Guiga: Don't stress, Hades. I like where it is going in my head now. Thank you, Gard!
    May 21, 2020, 03:18:36 AM
  • Hades: Oh! I’m sorry... I wasn’t aware that you wanted to take it in a specific direction. We can always loop around to the direction you want to take it. :)
    May 21, 2020, 02:40:44 AM
  • Gard: I am stalking that thread so hard :)
    May 21, 2020, 02:13:29 AM
  • Guiga: Yes, sure. That thread just took a turn in another direction, but this way we can explore their relationship.
    May 21, 2020, 01:30:47 AM
  • Hades: Beautiful, I hope you liked it!
    May 21, 2020, 12:33:36 AM
  • Guiga: Don't worry, Hades. It's OK. I'll finish a few things and then reply as Bard.
    May 20, 2020, 09:38:14 PM
  • Nienna: I am ashamed it took so long to eek out a post for ya,
    May 20, 2020, 02:40:25 AM
  • Marbys: Wrong account...
    May 17, 2020, 04:22:26 AM
  • Thengel: That's bad!!! I'm glad you're getting better. Don't push yourself.
    May 17, 2020, 04:21:56 AM
  • Dory: Yeah it's kinda complicated. I couldn't write at all until very recently bc I broke bones in both hands, so my LoA was a voice to text on Discord.
    May 16, 2020, 02:00:38 AM
  • Marbys: Happy to write with you again. I also have many other characters to offer for plots.
    May 15, 2020, 12:17:41 PM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: Scribbles  (Read 2176 times)

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Hades
  • Application: Plotter
Scribbles
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
ooc:: Hope you like it. I do not apologize for the length, you're welcome.!!! YAY Ori and Thorin thread!

It wasn’t long after Nori left that Thorin called the Page-Boy over. “Bring me the family records on the Ri family.” He instructed. The boy nodded and bowed, leaving through the servant’s entrance to the Throne room. Thorin turned back to the throne and sighed. Just standing there he reflected upon his meeting with Nori. It could have gone… better. The Dwarf was certainly willing to join the quest when he mentioned gold, and riches that would keep his family from any further wanting. And while he did not think the Ri family was in poverty, he knew they were at least above that particular social line, but not exactly kingly rich for being part of the Durin line. Always there is someone linked to the line. Though… they are not direct decadence. At least he didn’t think so. Balin was usually the one to keep up with that sort of thing.

The afternoon passed with no more scruples, and Thorin left the throne room growing bored of how empty it was. Once in the hall, he paused. The page he had sent out was coming down the hall. Upon seeing Thorin, he approached with a folder in hand. The leathery cover was tied with a piece of string. The page held it out to the prince without a word, and Thorin took it. The page bowed, and returned to whatever duties he had for the day. Looking at he leather bound folder, the prince removed the string and opened it to peer at the pages within. Taking a left, he proceeded down the hall with his mind focused on what he was reading. Of course he really wasn’t paying any attention to where he was going, and when Thorin finally looked up he was standing before the doors of the library. Confused, he opened the door and stepped inside.

Lined wall to wall were the books and records of his people. Everything from Dwarven Lore, to everything they had collected over the years sat on dustless, oak shelves. The Dwarves that kept the halls cared for their written treasures, and Thorin was more than happy to have it instituted as the official Library and Records room of Ered Luin. Thorin glanced around, hoping to pick out the white head of an old friend of his. Slowly he made his way into the library. And when he did, finally, see the person he was looking for, a small smile crossed his lips as he approached and bowed politely. “Balin,” he started, “I must speak with you.” The old Dwarf answered, “Of course Thorin, how can I help you?” Mahal, he was a very patient Dwarf and Thorin always reminded himself of how lucky he was to have Balin as a friend. “What can you tell me about the youngest of the Ri Family?” He asked, setting the parchment to one side. Recent information would more helpful than old. “I just met with Nori. I understand that the youngest trains under you.

Ori, is the youngest brother to Dori and Nori. He does train under me, he has been most helpful in the last couple months, within the library. He is smart and a quick learner, He does not have fighting skills, do to I believe Dori being overly motherly to the lad.” Thorin folded his arms as he listened to Balin. If Dori was as motherly as Balin said, there may be some trouble ahead. “He does have a strong mind, that can grasp any information and hold it like a volt. He is most helpful with books and writing, I do think if you want him to come along on your quest.” Balin always knew what Thorin was getting at. Sometimes it was helpful, and sometimes it was annoying. But, for the moment, it was a little bit of both. Was there nothing Thorin could keep to himself? Often he and Balin talked of the quest. Gandalf the Grey had come to him in Bree, and urging him on, Thorin took up the chance to reclaim what was rightfully his, and his kin’s. “I do suggest it to be a good choice, He would be able to write down the happenings as they partake.

So, Ori was a scribe. That was a little more than he had expected. However, the high praise from Balin helped Thorin make up his mind that offering Nori and his brothers the chance at reclaiming their homeland and restoring their honor, and their heritage might persuade this… Dori to come along. If the Dwarf had any integrity about him, that was. Not that, you know, everything depended on integrity. Nori was not the best definition of the word. “Thank you for your time Balin” Thorin nodded to his friend and left the library. It was getting late, and supper was about due.

The following couple of days held no word of seeing either Nori, in his ‘respectful’ place, nor Ori either. This didn’t bother Thorin, and although he did not know the relationship between the brothers, he was more than happy to assume that they were taking their time to reason about the quest to, only in the end, decide to take part. Erebor was not a very light subject to bring up to family anyways. He could wait, but he did not know for how much longer.

Finally, after nearly a week, Thorin decided to seek out Ori for himself and gauge the Dwarfling’s talents for himself, as he would do for most of the company. Leaving the training grounds and his nephews, Thorin made for the study hall, and inquired after Ori. “We’re sorry, your majesty,” said the book keeper, “I have not seen young Master Ori for some time! I do  worry about him, though.” And with that, Thorin left for the library, maybe he would be there. Of course, there really was no excuse for Ori not to be at his studies for so long! A Dwarf who came with the greatest of recommendations should be about upholding those standards. At least, in Thorin’s opinion. He would never let his nephews sneak out, or miss a day of school… and come to think of it, neither would his sister.

Entering the library, the Dwarf prince walked up and down the stairs, through the bookshelves. It was a large library, and Thorin quite imagined it as a game of hide and go seek. But, as there was no one in the Library who had seen Ori that day, or any of the days before, Thorin was puzzled, and hoped the lad hadn’t come down with something. “Master Thorin, you’re needed in the throne room.” A different page from the one before come puffing up to Thorin as he exited the library. Inwardly he sighed. Motioning for the page to lead the way, Thorin followed him to the Throne room unsure of what he would find.

Upon entering, he was greeted with a troop of guards, and in the middle was… well… was the elusive young Master Ori. Though Thorin did not know it yet.
speech color code: 102372

played by Hades sig by Hades!

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Jo
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
Scribbles
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »
There was no doubt in everybody’s mind that the young lad in travel clothes and nothing less than yarn mittens was lost. It was just the early morning but the less-crowded but dirtier part of the Ered Luin market was just beginning to call it a day--or a night? And no one would look for more than an instant at that freckled young dwarf who searched every face amongst the filthy stalls loaded with loot and contraband, and ladies offering themselves to passersbys, and old tavern keepers shouting at ungrateful guests and throwing them out. Thus when Thorin Oakenshield’s mind was wandering to the boy’s location, when Dori was worrying himself sick over that same boy, he was not hurt, not in trouble. Just very certainly in the wrong place, elbowed by this passerby and the other, as he tried to figure out where on the Blue Mountains his big brother Nori could ever be!

Ori shuffled through the crowd, just when its numbers were trickling and trickling until there was only a handful of dwarves, down one of the lanes that were least taken care of in Ered Luin. His ever-bent head only rose when he walked to the door of the inn most of the dwarves were heading to. It had no name, as the establishment’s façade could speak for itself; and it would not be a good idea to label it for any guards to read that might happen upon the doors. But it was the one that made Ori’s face light with recognition. “The look o’ the place is kinda worn down, but you’ll recognize it if you ever see it. No windows, lots o’ old bottles stuck on the walls, ‘n a wooden door that slides to the side. The old Slynt Inn.”

The boy’s speed while walking was the last thing on his mind--right until a heavily tattooed arm blocked his path and sent him stumbling backwards on the stones, though not on his back. The dwarf that had blocked his path growled, and through his messy and unkempt whiskers, the gesture looked almost lion-like. Ori planted his feet on the ground firmly before he could be stumbled over by anyone else, and marched up to the sliding wooden door and past the whiskered dwarf. The grimace on Ori’s face only lasted a moment at the sigh of the man guarding the door.

He had never seen a man so scarred in his life! The eyepatch lazily placed over an eye surrounded by knife scars was only one example of it. The arm facing Ori held an enormous axe, almost like that of an undertaker, and it was littered in burns, shoulder to wrist. A prosthetic metal leg replaced half his calf, and...well, the rest of it may have merely been a very wrinkled and ugly face. Either way, the shock of seeing such a dwarf for the first time in his life drew words from Ori’s mouth without anything else spoken. “I’m s-searching for Nori,” he stammered. It might have been the stubborn look on the boy’s freckled face, or just his amusement, but the axe was set aside and the dwarf grunted. [color=E0E0E]“Thank you.”[/color] No one was to cast at Ori that he was impolite, even in uncivilized parts!

Busy was the nightlife of Ered Luin! Ori could barely take in the crowd that was larger than what he had seen in the few taverns he had ever come across, and even those had not been so messy as this one! The loud, bawdy mandolins and lutes on the corner were enough to make any learned musician cringe, but not an explorer such as Ori. Anyways, the smell of illegal brew all over the place, the raucous laughter, the overwhelming scent of sweat and some vomit, and loud calls over the place for more beer, more beer, was far more cringeworthy than the music itself.

There was one thing missing in the tavern, however. A familiar brown head of hair styled like a star. No matter where he might look, Nori was not there! Ori immediately turned on his heel to the door but was caught by a loud, drunken hoot by some dwarf man sleeping by the wooden door and covered by a raggedy burlap sheet. Ori did not respond, but when he tripped with the guard at the door, he did yelp out. “I--I’m sorry! Excuse me, this is not where I meant to go!” And the guard clutched the hood of Ori cloak and dragged him out the inn. The boy tottered on his feet when back on the road again, but at least he wasn’t thrown so violently to end up on his knees.

If that had not been somber enough, immediately afterward, a pair of black shiny boots blocked his sight when Ori attempted to get up. He opened his mouth and gasped for breath when he saw it was nothing other than a palace guard. “Sir, I did not mean to go in there, I was in the wrong place, I am rather lost! stuttered Ori absently when he stared into the palace guard’s ice blue eyes--when they were hard set, they looked even colder. “Please believe me! I’ll be on my way back!” His heart nearly gave out when the palace guard’s grimace became even more set, and he shook his head. Behind him, more of his rank were assembling. Mahal save me.

“You are sought for, boy,” rasped the guard he had bumped into. When a smiled crossed his dry lips, then Ori allowed himself to take in the rest of his appearance. He did not look cruel at all, once he got past his shyness! “You are Ori, brother of Dori?” And before he could stop himself, he was nodding. and two of the guards were at his back immediately. “Then come with us.” And only then did Ori realize he had unwittingly set himself in the hands of his older brother’s stifling care. That wasn’t the only thing that made his sight blur when he reluctantly walked by the guards. Oh, what was he to tell him? How was he going to face Dori for the heartbreak he had caused him?

But the path the guards had for him led away from the familiar ground where the Ris lived. Ori kept his mouth shut as they approached the makeshift palace of Ered Luin. While mostly, his heart beat faster at the thought of meeting a high-ranking royal, maybe meet Fíli and Kíli along the way, his head and stomach trembled when the shame of having to explain his conduct to anyone was possibly quite near. This was not enough to keep Ori from looking all over the palace like a newcomer, thinking of every detail he could write down. Right up the throne room, and the sight of Thorin Oakenshield walking to the doors, about to meet him.

Played by Jo

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Scribbles
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
ooc:: I feel awful! But here's your post.

It was like all the world were screaming at him: Just try and stay on top of things puny Dwarf. Thorin followed the messenger through the halls back to the throne room where he usually took audience with his guards, people he specifically wanted to see, and the occasional scolding of riff-raff if the crime fit the punishment. No, of course Thorin wasn’t self-righteous. He liked to inform rule breakers of the law, that’s all! Sometimes, though, he secretly enjoyed it… but, shh, you don’t know anything.

What was puzzling the King was that he knew for a fact that he didn’t have anyone scheduled for anything in the room! Let alone Ori, brother of Dori and Nori. The King’s blue eyes scanned the situation before him. He glanced at the guard, who held out a piece of paper. Thorin took it, and the guard bowed. “What…” He started, looking at the paper, “Is this?” The guard took his time, and Thorin didn’t like how annoyingly pleased with himself he looked. Always someone…

Your Majesty, King Thorin… May I present: Master Ori.” The Guards took a few paces away from the young Dwarf they had brought in. Not wanting to make a scene in front of the new comer, however, Thorin simply glared at the guard. He didn’t recognize the handwriting on the paper to anyone he knew, and the signature at the end, although it was signed in his name, it was not his handwriting. Thorin’s temper flared, and it showed. He said nothing. He did nothing. Just stood there, glaring, imagining burning the pants of the guard with nothing but the glare… and maybe burning the rest. Finally, Thorin scrunched the paper in his hand and gestured for the guards to leave the Throne room.

When the guards were half way to the door, he said, “I want to see you, Master Eldgrim, when I am finished with Master Ori.” The guard acknowledged the King’s order, turning and bowing as he left the Throne room. Thorin took a moment to stare glaring after the Dwarf. He would get a very stern talking to, then he would find out who had written the note, and signed it with a forged signature. Why couldn’t people just leave him to his business?

Not wanting Ori to feel more awkward than he already, undoubtedly did, he turned to the young Dwarf. “I apologize if I have caused you any inconvenience, Master Ori.” He started, not really sure where to begin explaining what had just happened before him. “But now that you’re here, I see no reason for you to leave unless you wish to do so.” This was not how he wanted to meet Ori brother of Nori by any means! “But it is growing late, and I cannot have anyone out and about in these halls this early in the brunch hour, when they look as worn down as yourself.” Hush, now, Thorin knows what he’s doing, “I can offer you a room to freshen yourself up in, quiet and secluded from the rest, and then you are free to leave. My only request is that you join me for lunch… Unless you have already had something to eat?

Like Thorin was going to let the Dwarf go without offering him a place to stay. Being forced to do this was not the King’s idea of ‘fun’, and he really would rather have … well, no point in being anymore redundant than I already have been…

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Scribbles
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Ori was a great believer in the importance of a first impression, but all his dreams of properly meeting a high-ranking dwarf like Thorin crashed down the moment he saw the irritation in his face at the sight of the guards...and him. The guard was oblivious to Thorin Oakenshield’s emotions and simply passed him a bit of paper.Ori was actually more afraid of the dwarf king’s raspy tone than his face. “What…”, began Thorin, almost enraged, “Is this?” And yet the guard would not looked at least intimidated by his king? Ori was sure he looked at least ruffled by this meeting. Now he could add to the list of his disgraces: meeting Thorin Oakenshield angered!

The guard’s only response was, “Your Majesty, King Thorin… May I present: Master Ori.” And the guard stepped away from him to make Ori the center of the spotlight. He tried to swallow back his fear by biting his lip and looking down (not at all dignified but better than a rambling apology). He wasn’t even looking at anyone--all he could do was wait and wait and ignore the uncomfortableness of the situation until he heard the scratching nose of the scrawl the guard had passed to Thorin, being crumpled and tossed away.

“I want to see you, Master Eldgrim, when I am finished with Master Ori.” M-master? Ori looked up in surprise when the chastised guard, Eldgrim, left their company, and so did the other guards. Only he and Thorin were left in the throne room, and then all trace of crossness left the Dwarf King’s face. “I apologize if I have caused you any inconvenience, Master Ori.” Ori’s shock did not allow him to speak, but he could nod mutely as a sign that he had understood. “But now that you’re here, I see no reason for you to leave unless you wish to do so. But it is growing late, and I cannot have anyone out and about in these halls this early in the brunch hour, when they look as worn down as yourself. I can offer you a room to freshen yourself up in, quiet and secluded from the rest, and then you are free to leave. My only request is that you join me for lunch… Unless you have already had something to eat?”

Oh, this was the end. He would have to eat with Thorin Oakenshield, tell him what he had done, be sent home like a naughty little boy home to Dori, where he would have to reassure him that he would never, never leave again, and that he was not going to Erebor. Unless...unless he tried his best to appeal to Thorin.

“No, sir. I--I had an early breakfast, then I...I headed down to meet my brother Nori further into town.” He was only glad the guards hadn’t mentioned where exactly in Ered Luin they had found him, otherwise he might come off as having...a rascal’s life. Not unlike his brother.He willed himself to follow the Dwarf King away to whatever chamber they were going to. “You see, just yesterday he came to my other brother Dori and I with a...with an offer.” He took a deep breath before lowering his voice. “He said you were leading an expedition to--to Erebor, sir”

A moment’s panicking led him to reconsider what he had just said. “I mean, he offered for us to come but if you wouldn’t want us there, of course we get it, I mean, you must have more experienced, travelled scribes instead of me. I--I never meant to say I was supposed to go…”

Played by Jo

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Scribbles
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:27:00 AM »
Thorin hoped his invitation to lunch wasn’t asking too much. If it was, he would gladly retract it, as he did not want to come across as a forceful person. It was hard enough to keep Kíli and Fíli sitting down at the table, and he shouldn’t have to ask every person who came along to sit and eat with him. Rarely did Thorin and his Nephews actually sit down to a meal of their own. It was only if Dís was going to eat with him did the boys ever join them, and he didn’t blame them. With the sudden onslaught of really random business coming to the mountain, he barely had enough time for himself. And then, on top of all that he had to worry about putting together a rag-tag team of faithful Dwarves to go and take back a mountain that had been resting for – what? – 60 years? And since the person who was standing before him – rather awkwardly he had to admit – was related to Nori, and part of the ‘Ri family… well, it doesn’t take you long to put it together, does it?

From what Nori had said, it didn’t sound like his brothers would be too interested in going. So, no the King made it his personal mission to sign up all the clan (or at least the Brothers) to join him on the quest. If people thought it was easy trying to pull together something this big, on such a scale that could cost them all their lives, they were wrong.

No, sir. I--I had an early breakfast, then I...I headed down to meet my brother Nori further into town.” My, he was a nervous one, wasn’t he? “You see, just yesterday he came to my other brother Dori and I with a...with an offer. He said you were leading an expedition to--to Erebor, sir.” Thorin tilted his head slightly to one side, and his eyebrows raising just a bit, but not in surprise, “I mean, he offered for us to come but if you wouldn’t want us there, of course we get it, I mean, you must have more experienced, travelled scribes instead of me. I--I never meant to say I was supposed to go…

To be fair, the lad had a point. He could pick more experienced scribes, and he could have picked better, more noble people for the Quest. But that wasn’t the point. He needed young, eager people. And besides, Balin had said he needed a scribe, and so if Thorin thought Ori was good enough, then by golly, Ori would be good enough! Thorin only thought those things, though, as he stood in silence, gazing at the scribe who had left his home and gone looking for his brother.

that was the sort of thing he was looking for. Someone who wanted adventure! Someone who wanted to get out in the world, and you usually found that in the young. They were always looking for experience, but Thorin was also going to balance out the young with the experienced. Dwalin and Balin were not the only ones on his list to hit up with the offer – although Balin and Dwalin were aware of the invitation, and Thorin hopped that at least Dwalin would be more than willing to tag along! I will need to discuss it with him when I see him next. He thought, making the thought a mental note to check in with Dwalin.

But at this current moment, a little more than two minutes of silence Thorin had let pass between him and Ori without him saying a thing. His blue eyes stared at Ori, and observed every movement he made. Then, he stopped. Looking away from Ori to the ornate decorations of the hall they were standing in, Thorin took in a deep breath and began, “Your brother did not tell me you would be quick to dismiss your importance.” He started, “What can I do that would possibly ease your mind about coming along on such a trip? I know your brother Dori may not be so fond, but that is speculation, unless I am correct?” He wondered aloud, hoping Ori would give a response. If he could get the lad on board, then all that stood in his way was Dori. Well, that was very kind of him anyways, to say ‘standing in his way’. Dori wasn’t standing in anyone’s way, Thorin knew it. He wasn’t going to force the situation, not at all! He would … simply use his Kingly Wisdom to persuade Dori that the adventure wasn’t going to be all bad. Or, perhaps Ori could do that for him…  

ooc:: Hope you like it... if anything needs to be changed, let me know!

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Scribbles
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
The king made no comment after his rather anxious outburst, and instead examined the lad for such time Ori felt uncomfortable under his stare. The king’s blue eyes lingered on him without a single hint of judgement; that was what unnerved the boy. But he spoke kindly when he addressed Ori at last. “Your brother did not tell me you would be quick to dismiss your importance.” At first Ori was downed by this comment, and he flinched in shame at his own self-consciousness. When was he going to learn that humility was not meekness?

But Thorin’s words were comforting. “What can I do that would possibly ease your mind about coming along on such a trip? I know your brother Dori may not be so fond, but that is speculation, unless I am correct?” That was the understatement of the age. Ori paled when Thorin mentioned Dori, because he was still not comfortable with the idea of facing Dori...and considering not only that he was not fond, but that he was outright against the idea of the Quest...Ori knew no amount of gold, of promises made to him or Nori, would bring Dori out of his comfortable home to chase glory and fortune to the wilder corners of Middle Earth and risk their deaths. Then there was also the small matter that he had run away from home...

Ori tried to keep his voice steady, and he looked at Thorin in the eyes. “I would be the most eager to go to Erebor, Your Majesty, but...I’m afraid that it might take something more than persuasion and promise to convince Dori to come along the Quest...it was not well-received when Nori came home with the offer. Even if I wholeheartedly accepted it.” Then he gulped. “You would allow me to come? I might be a good apprentice of a scribe, I’ve a good position in the Archives, yet I don’t understand...don’t understand why you would ask me to come along to such an important adventure.” He was stammering again, sod it!

“Or Nori for that matter. I mean...if you’re going to return to the mountain, wouldn’t you prefer a well-stocked army?” The necessity of the army did not even need to be told, as a dragon is pretty difficult to keep out of your mind when you were considering an attempt to retake a mountain of gold. “But - nevermind my own lack of confidence, milord. I would be beyond honored to come along in the Quest.” He showed his shy smile then, and the excitement in his eyes returned. It was only there for a moment, as an unforgettable fact then spoiled his little moment of excitement. “Well...my services as a scribe would be always at your service, but I’m afraid...I’m not very good at defending myself, you see. Not well-versed at all with most weapons.”

The only thing he had resembling a weapon was the slingshot he only used to amuse himself, or to mess with people who were messing with him. He’d taken that dagger from home, and he didn’t even know if he could defend himself with it. But at least he was being honest. If Thorin’s company found themselves besieged by orcs and goblins and any other kind of foe, they might find Ori to be a burden to their travels!

[ooc: I'm sorry it's not very long, but I think this puts Ori's reply well - also, it's lunchtime. Same disclaimer for "if you need anything changed" applies!]

Played by Jo

Thorin Oakenshield

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
Scribbles
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 05:47:00 AM »
What else was there to say about most other people? Dwarves that worked in the mines and Dwarves that worked hard in scholarly things were no more alike than they were different, if that made any sense. To Thorin Oakenshield, it make perfect sense. At least at the time. Inviting the youngest of the Ri’s to join him for dinner was probably a lot forward, but what else could he offer the lad? “I would be the most eager to go to Erebor, Your Majesty, but...I’m afraid that it might take something more than persuasion and promise to convince Dori to come along the Quest.

Ah yes, Dori. Always seeming to put a kink in everyone’s plans. Apparently the Tea-Loving Dwarf was going to be the toughest to persuade out of the bunch. Though it is supposed that the members were chosen very carefully, and meticulously. Of course you would be right if you supposed such a thing. They were indeed chosen carefully, from the moment they were dug out of the history books directly dealing with the line of Durin, and all that sort of mumbo-jumbo. Yet, it really cannot be called ‘mumbo-jumbo’. Dwarves were very proud of their history, and Thorin was not one to pluck any street merchant off the street to join in this quest. No, it had to be people closely related or directly related. There was really no telling anyone the reason why this was, but Thorin accepted this as fact that it was how it had to be done, no questions asked.

Ori talked on, and Thorin heard every word the young writer said. “-Yet I don’t understand...don’t understand why you would ask me to come along to such an important adventure. Or Nori for that matter. I mean...if you’re going to return to the mountain, wouldn’t you prefer a well-stocked army?” Why not indeed! Thorin had originally wanted a ‘well-stocked army’. But the Wizard had suggested nothing more than a small group. Apparently it would be wisest, and ‘have I ever led you astray’ was the Grey Wizard’s favorite thing to bring up when Thorin was being stubborn and wanting things done his way. Naturally it was all against his better judgment to not just bring an army, which was why he was going to ask his cousin in a letter to seek audience. There was no way Thorin was going to just walk right into a mountain with a Dragon, and not have an army to back him up, no sir! He was about to answer Ori when the young Dwarf stammered on about his lack of confidence, and it was then that Thorin made up his mind – more out of habit than compassion – that the lad needed to go on the adventure! It would not only be a great character building exorcise, but it would give Ori more confidence in himself. Fili and Kili were prime examples of what it meant to be confident. They had a family that not only demanded that they be so, but also caring, loving and a few other, softer characteristics as well.

“Well...my services as a scribe would be always at your service, but I’m afraid...I’m not very good at defending myself, you see. Not well-versed at all with most weapons.” Wasn’t this the part where Thorin was supposed to break into song? Something about coursing rivers, great typhoons, and raging… tigers? No, fires. And the song was supposed to instill a feeling of overwhelming confidence that the Dwarf could indeed do what he was best at, and learn from the great warriors that would be accompanying him on the quest? What a long and unnecessary sentence, and the song should have come earlier. Thorin’s blue eyes looked over Ori for the millionth time. He didn’t doubt that he couldn’t wield a sword, or perhaps carry an axe. But they would need someone to scribble down their little adventure, wouldn’t they? No matter what their choice of weapons be. (Look at Kili for instance, but Bows aren’t exactly uncommon were they?). No, they weren’t. Even Thorin knew how to use a bow, and he thought Kili everything he knew, well almost.

Thorin stood in silence just gazing at Ori. He wanted to formulate an answer, but the words simply would not come to him in the way they needed to be said. Finally he decided upon, “Ori.” He paused, “There are many reasons why I have chosen the people I have for this quest. Because they are brave, loyal, and willing to do anything for the people they love. Even if it means staring down a Dragon to protect their loved ones, weapons or no.” Thorin turned and poured himself a glass of ale. “Each one of them has a special talent, and no two weapons were forged in the same fire. Whither you throw quills and ink at our enemy, or rocks, you would be a welcome addition to my team. We need someone to chronicle the quest, why not yourself?” He asked, calmly taking a sip of the ale he just poured. He wasn’t trying to sound cliché, he was trying to sound, and be, honest. He figured what Ori needed right now, was honesty. “There are several Dwarves who would gladly take your position, but there is more in it for you than you may yet realize.” Saying this, of course, he half expected Ori to ask him what exactly was in it for him besides the gold and possible fame. So, what was Thorin really counting on? He knew it wouldn’t be easy to get Dori on board. Maybe he was counting on the Dwarf’s sense of duty and pride to carry him away on this journey. Would Thorin have to speak with Dori before long? What would Ori say to his brother? Thorin could only imagine…    

ooc | ... sorry it is so long... o.o

Tags:

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nauroval: Open thread for assistance from any in Rohan/Near Fangorn! Removing an arrow from the wing of a Great Eagle and getting to possibly speak to her and meet Shadowfax due to it! :smile: [link]
    May 22, 2020, 12:08:54 AM
  • Nienna: Open thread for LotR time line, for Sahib: [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:44:11 AM
  • Nienna: Oh la la, a post! [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:38:53 AM
  • Sauron: Reply for Saruman [link]
    May 12, 2020, 09:02:52 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Trenardir [link]
    May 09, 2020, 07:46:26 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Elrond [link]
    May 09, 2020, 05:04:57 AM
  • Bard: Don't feel disheartened. The thread is open to anyone, including Bain. I've also made a slight change to the last paragraph. I hope it helps you in joining the thread.
    May 06, 2020, 08:34:45 AM
  • Nienna: Oh! Was about to toss Bain at Pappa, but after reading the last paragraph... hmmm...
    May 06, 2020, 03:32:31 AM
  • Bard: Open thread at Laketown for anyone with a reason to be there during a cold winter night
    May 01, 2020, 01:40:22 AM
  • Saruman: Starter for Sauron [[link]]
    April 30, 2020, 06:27:20 AM
  • Gandalf: Open thread at the Shire for any and all Hobbits
    April 29, 2020, 09:20:22 PM
  • Faramir: Reply for Éomer! [link]
    April 23, 2020, 03:40:13 PM
  • Faramir: Starter for Boromir! [link]
    April 22, 2020, 12:47:38 PM
  • Nienna: [link] open thread!
    January 14, 2020, 04:33:41 AM
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis