• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Wanted

Coming soon!

* Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Marbys: I’ll wait. If no one posts in a few days, I will then.
    May 23, 2020, 05:13:40 PM
  • Marbys: Sorry, I didn’t know there was something prearranged. I don’t access Discord a lot. It’s OK. I thought joining was open due to tag in the tag box.
    May 23, 2020, 05:11:06 PM
  • Gard: Can’t get to discord right now but yes that’s fine Marbys and I’ll give it a first come first serve!
    May 23, 2020, 04:42:01 PM
  • Ari: I'm fine with it Marbys. (There was ThatGuy who I think was also interested, but idk - whoever posts first I guess :P). Waiting on Gard's vote though.
    May 23, 2020, 01:03:55 AM
  • Marbys: The Fangorn thread, I mean.
    May 22, 2020, 11:25:13 PM
  • Marbys: I'm thinking about joining the Nauroval and Shadowfax with an already reformed Annúngilel. OK for you both, Ari and Gard?
    May 22, 2020, 11:24:12 PM
  • Ari: Shadowfax: *wiggles excitedly*
    May 22, 2020, 12:41:26 AM
  • Hera: New plotters ready!
    May 21, 2020, 11:32:10 PM
  • Hades: :P sure thing.
    May 21, 2020, 09:49:40 PM
  • Guiga: Don't stress, Hades. I like where it is going in my head now. Thank you, Gard!
    May 21, 2020, 03:18:36 AM
  • Hades: Oh! I’m sorry... I wasn’t aware that you wanted to take it in a specific direction. We can always loop around to the direction you want to take it. :)
    May 21, 2020, 02:40:44 AM
  • Gard: I am stalking that thread so hard :)
    May 21, 2020, 02:13:29 AM
  • Guiga: Yes, sure. That thread just took a turn in another direction, but this way we can explore their relationship.
    May 21, 2020, 01:30:47 AM
  • Hades: Beautiful, I hope you liked it!
    May 21, 2020, 12:33:36 AM
  • Guiga: Don't worry, Hades. It's OK. I'll finish a few things and then reply as Bard.
    May 20, 2020, 09:38:14 PM
  • Nienna: I am ashamed it took so long to eek out a post for ya,
    May 20, 2020, 02:40:25 AM
  • Marbys: Wrong account...
    May 17, 2020, 04:22:26 AM
  • Thengel: That's bad!!! I'm glad you're getting better. Don't push yourself.
    May 17, 2020, 04:21:56 AM
  • Dory: Yeah it's kinda complicated. I couldn't write at all until very recently bc I broke bones in both hands, so my LoA was a voice to text on Discord.
    May 16, 2020, 02:00:38 AM
  • Marbys: Happy to write with you again. I also have many other characters to offer for plots.
    May 15, 2020, 12:17:41 PM

* Directories

RPG-D RPG Initiative

* Awards

Author Topic: A Moon-Spree  (Read 3654 times)

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Jo
  • Application: Plotter
  • Plotter: Plotter
  • Tracker: Plotter
A Moon-Spree
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:09:00 AM »
The air had home had begun to be hard just to breathe. Dori had invited some friends over (of whom Ori was deeply afraid of--they were all so tall and intimidating! Not like some people he had met around Ered Luin's mines, but enough to be feared) and he was not willing to stay all afternoon even at his own home with them. No, sir, reflected Ori as he looked through his window. It was a busy Sunday evening, with the miners just returning from their shifts at the mines. But he was beginning to think of going to the archives, even if it was very late. Dori would disapprove of his going out to Ered Luin, but Ori wasn't thinking of going alone. The few other apprentices at the archives wouldn't be there, being a Sunday. He was thinking of someone else.

He scrambled unto the framing of the window and jumped off. It was only a short walk to the sumptuous home he looked for. Every now and then his friend would have the time for a small escapade with him, especially to the archives, which she loved for being full of the books she loved. Ori counted himself lucky that he was apprenticed at his haven and could freely go there without any disapproval from Dori. Instead, his friend was constantly pestered with high society and its dealings, of which Ori did not know much of. He only had some vague notions of retellings from Fíli and Kíli (who Dori called "the princelings") but not much. He put all thoughts out of his mind as he kept his eyes on the village road and huddled in his cape. It was colder than he had realized. It was just a summer afternoon, so he hadn't expected the wind to be this cutting. He coughed, then brightened amwhen he lifted his head. He was now at the main street, and the paveway was crowded with all sorts of strange dwarves. He smiled when he saw the stand of the familiar toymaker, Bofur, who had brightened his day many times (then it had been dimmed a little if his cousin Bifur appeared...) and shuddered at the sight of an inn where he had once accidentally met a thief that had robbed him out of his best quills. He began to push his way through the crowd to the dwelling he was looking for, and fiddled nervously with his cloak clasp when three Men, who looked like self-satisfied merchants laughed at him.

He ignored their glances and made his way to a less occupied alleyway, where the homes of finer dwarves were. Ori inspected each of the homes (some even had two levels, which wae considered a luxury in Ered Luin) for the one he was looking for. He halted at the sight of a two-story edifice, elegantly furnished on the outside and, according to description, just as well on the inside. There was a low iron gate surrounding it, and Ori approached it shyly. He knew they kept a family of hounds and he was not anxious to ever meet them. He could see a familiar figure not that far away, a little taller than him, in a dress. Then he whispered shyly, "Let's go on a moon-spree, Aesa." Every now and then she could come and they would run off in the night to the archives or even the woods, curious of what the night would bring.

ooc; I place this when Ori is 27, but I don't know when is this chronologically, or how old Aesa was. I hope this was to your satisfaction!

Played by Jo

Aesa

• Shelved
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
  • Alias: Cass
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
This Sunday had been much like any other.  The day had begun with Aesa being tipped into a warm bath at the fireside, along with a fistful of lavender flowers and a generous dollop of honey.  It might seem a strange practice yet Issa insisted the honey would keep Aesa's skin smooth and soft (and her hair shining!) whilst the lavender would have her smell sweet all day long.  Botanicals had their uses, after all.  The Dwarfling had frowned up at her mother through the sodden auburn curls that were splayed across her face, to her young mind flowers looked best alive and growing rather than floating in the bath tub - but she enjoyed the scent of lavender all the same.  Once she was out of the water and wrapped in a towel, Aesa entertained herself by picking the tiny, errant purple flowers from her damp locks, marvelling at their intricacy and their fragrance.  Flowers, like books, were something she truly loved.

Then, as per usual, Aesa was stuffed into one of her fine dresses purchased by her father (for Klaen would not lose his life to Orcs for another twenty-two years and thus the family had at least some money for sumptuous things) and her hair meticulously set, curled, braided and bowed.  Every Sunday Aesa accompanied her mother as she met with a group of her high-society friends.  It was tedious to the little one, for she was the youngest by some thirty years, and every week it was the same routine.  Once Aesa was dressed and ready she would glide into the drawing room to spin for Klaen, so that he could dutifully oooh and ahhh, and then it was off to the afternoon gathering to have her cheeks pinched, to be cooed at, to be quizzed on what she had recently learned from her studies, to recite poetry and to, once again, spin for the delight of others.  In later years Aesa would grow to be grateful for this weekly arrangement, when they had so little money that they came to almost rely on the food served at such functions to keep their bellies filled.

The day had been long, the Dwarfling itching to pull the ribbons and beads from her hair, to struggle out of her dress and to kick off her little ballerina shoes to run wild about the house, to get into mischief, and to then find some little nook in which to curl up in with one of her beloved books.  Aesa positively squirmed with excitement at the thought as they walked home in the summer light, amidst the crowds of miners eager to get home to their families.  Today, however, Aesa had bolted from the path at the sight of a thicket of wildflowers.  Issa had at first bee aghast and protested, glancing this way and that to see if there was anyone of importance who might see her only daughter, in all her finery, up to her knees in the long grass.  Fortunately there was not and, mumbling some fib about wanting them to make perfume, Aesa had returned home triumphantly with a colourful bouquet clutched in her small fist.  Once Aesa had lovingly placed her flowers in a little vase of fresh water and set them on her bedroom sill, Issa had insisted, as always, that they recount to Klaen who had been at the social (it was the same people every week!) and divulge the more interesting snippets of gossip.  Her father was not always at home, for he often travelled abroad, and Aesa was certain that he must experience a certain kind of peace whilst off scrapping with foul Orcs.  As if to confirm this, at once point during Issa's deluge the Dwarfling caught her father's eye and saw him roll them playfully, making her stifle a melodious giggle. 

Though they were of the nobility they were not yet so comfortable as to be able to afford servants and so little Aesa was out the front of the house, an embroidered cloak draped over her narrow shoulders and fine dress, obediently changing the pillar candles in the large lanterns, whenever she heard a familiar voice speak.  Immediately her smooth face split into a wide smile, her most brilliant and genuine of the day, and she practically bounced over to Ori, throwing her arms around her friend's neck in unbridled delight.

“Ori, I am so pleased to see you!” Aesa stepped back then and gazed up at him, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear.  “You have rescued me from an evening of unimaginable boredom.  Please let's go on a moon-spree,” she paused then, glancing furtively over her shoulder at the fine house's façade, “Please let's go now, before they catch me.”  A soft, small and determined hand captured his and tugged him back towards the gate.  “Where shall our feet take us tonight?  To the archive?  It is too cold for the woods I fear.”

(OOC: Aesa is 23, making her the equivalent of a… 7-8 year old?  And your post was wonderful, I am just sorry it has taken me so long to get around to writing a reply!)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:20:04 PM by Aesa »

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Ori was used to seeing his friend Aesa dressed in finery and pampered shamelessly by her mother, and so was not daunted by the fabulously costly dress she wore and the fancy hairdo that madame Issa had somehow coaxed from her hair. He grinned when she cried out in delight at his sight, and when she bolted towards him he could tell he had come at the perfect time too. “Ori, I am so pleased to see you!” she called out as she embraced him, and Ori laughed. ”It is wonderful to see you too, Aesa.” Usually when she was this hyped up it meant that some social upper class gathering awaited her…which she dreaded as much as Ori dreaded being with Dori’s grown-up friends. “You have rescued me from an evening of unimaginable boredom. Please let's go on a moon-spree.  Let's go now, before they catch me,” she begged, and he nodded in excitement. “We won’t as long as we hurry!” he encouraged her quietly, and Aesa took his hand and led him back to the gate. “Where shall our feet take us tonight? To the archive? It is too cold for the woods I fear.”

Ori shook his head in answer and smiled as Aesa opened the gate. “The woods are perfectly fine for tonight! Besides…” here he grimaced, “Fári is at the archives.” Fári was a scribe about 56 who thought himself incredibly clever and wise who did not tolerate the presence of children such as themselves in the archives. Ori had sworn time and time again that when he was a scribe, if Dori allowed him, he would best his knowledge and wit! Ori began to walk quickly, expecting Aesa to catch up. “Besides, it is a beautiful summer evening. It wouldn’t grow too cold at this time of the year. But if you insist we could go to the archives,” he granted, and stopped.

They were back in the main streets of Ered Luin, which in the few minutes of his absence had cleared some. Mr. Bofur’s toy stand had been closed, and a lot of other stands had been as well. From here it was a short walk to the Archives, but they could also head west and get off the road to their favorite grove away from everyone else, where they usually talked by quiet little stream. They had even met Nori once at that grove, and it had been one of Ori’s most pleasant surprise in his short life. It usually meant peace and quiet where he could talk to his friend or simply stay there and write if there was enough light. At this time of the day the only light was firefly light, unfortunately.

Played by Jo

Aesa

• Shelved
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Aesa mirrored Ori by pulling a face at the mention of Fári.  She was much too well-mannered to ever be rude to their elder, despite him being so unpleasant to them, but she held the pompous Dwarf in poor favour for not tolerating their presence in the Archives.  They were bright, reverent and eager to learn, what harm could come from their being there?  Aesa simply could not fathom it.  Someday Fári was sure to have his comeuppance, when dear Ori outshone him – as he most certainly would.

Pulling her cloak a little closer around her Aesa nodded and scampered after her friend, lifting her skirts to keep them from dragging on the ground.  “I do not insist, the woods it can and shall be!” Aesa assured her agreeable companion, drawing up abreast to Ori, “I have not felt the grass under my feet all day and I am yet to have any engaging conversation.  Let's change that, shall we?”

The streets were emptying as vendors and workers packed their stands and wandered home to their waiting families.  The birds still sang cheerfully, heralding the fall of the sun from the sky as dusk now slowly crept across the land.  The lanterns would soon be lit, casting their flickering light.  Aesa loved how the sun's setting was drawn out in the summer months, how even close to the midnight hour (not that she was often awake that late) one cold still discern a very faint illumination in the sky, little more than a navy or purple hue to the west.  And then they were gifted with light again after only a few shorts hours of true darkness.

Ori had stopped but Aesa did not hesitate, she moved eagerly off in the direction of the grove, turning to walk backwards as she passed so that she could make a gesture, beckoning him to follow, smiling shyly.  They walked along the road then, quiet for some brief moments.  That was perfectly fine with Aesa, for with Ori she did not feel that every minute needed filled with chatter.  There was an amicable contentment to such pauses and Aesa seized this one to think of the peace, of the quiet and soulful conversations, they would soon share in their beloved grove.

“What chased you from the house tonight?”  Aesa enquired gently at last.  Not that Ori needed a reason to call on her, or for them to escape to the woods together, but intuition told her that there may have been cause this day.

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:27:00 AM »
"I do not insist, the woods it can and shall be! I have not felt the grass under my feet all day and I am yet to have any engaging conversation. Let's change that, shall we?” chirped out Aesa happily, and Ori grinned. Both he and Aesa had a strange talent to find each other when they needed each other the most. Ori, as much as he disliked being pampered and guarded around by Ori admitted that Dori was wonderful with him and respected what he would want to make out of his life--ever since he knew how to write he had know he wanted to be a scribe; and Dori had accepted (provided he did not get into trouble like Nori). Aesa, instead, had to live quite a different life than the one she desired. The best they could do now as dwarflings was hope things would change and help each other out with their current and childish woes.

They strayed from the path quietly; if they spoke too much too loudly they might be caught by someone, reasoned Ori. Aesa did not badger him with talk until the last moment. "What chased you from the house tonight?” she asked, and Ori grimaced slightly. "Dori's friends were at home," he confessed, and when they finally went into the woods he began to speak more clearly. It was easier to speak under trees for him. "They were loud and constantly wanted me around like some sort of pet. I wonder what it is like to have a family that isn't overly pestering of you," he said, and his thoughts immediately went to Nori, whom he admired so very much. He had only seen him and talked to him a few times since he could remember, but he admired him more than Dori approved.

The sun hung lowly in the sky, already past the horizon, but its golden sheen still crowned the faraway plains Ori knew to be the Shire, and his mind wandered to where the sun could go after it went down. "I wonder where the sun could go after it sinks in the sky," he mused as they trekked further in the trees. He did love the pines in this region. "Would the elves of the Grey Havens know?" he said, referring to the westernmost point known on Middle Earth. He would have to find out more about the Elven port later, Ori decided. He did not know much about the Elves. The few works about them were not at a twenty seven-year-old's reach, Fári often bragged, which only set him blood boiling more.

Played by Jo

Aesa

• Shelved
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
Aesa felt certain of Ori's destiny; he would become the scribe that he so determinedly aspired to be.  As to her own future, well, she was equally sure about it but it seemed to Aesa that her fate would not be so sweet.  Even at her fragile young age she was under no illusion that it was in her family's interest to marry her off to a powerful, wealthy Dwarf.  Who he was, where he was from, how many years he had lived, whether he had been married before... none of these little details would matter so much.  Perhaps Aesa would love him, perhaps she wouldn't, but either way so long as she had her friends, so long as she had Ori, she would have some contentment, some joy.  Books and daydreams would help too.

The little maiden noticed the grimace that passed over Ori's face when she enquired about what had taken him out of his home this evening.  Aesa's eyes were on the ground, minding her step, as she listened, letting the shadows of the trees steal over them.  She could certainly relate to being treated like a pet, she knew how demeaning it could be.  Instinctively Aesa reached out to lay a gentle hand on her friend's arm.  “I wonder too,” the maiden said quietly but with a degree of reassurance in her voice.  Aesa tilted her head, wondering what could be said that might cheer Ori, even if only a little.  “Perhaps... Perhaps it makes for a terribly boring existence.”

Seeing where Ori's gaze had travelled, Aesa allowed her own to follow.  The scent of the woodland was draping itself around them now; notes of fresh pine, and of the smouldering fires of fungus, reached Aesa's nose.  But her thoughts were not on their surroundings for her attention was now given over to the Elves that Ori had mentioned.  She knew that there was no love lost between Dwarves and Elves and, beyond this tense history, the takes she was told seemed to suggest they were fearsome, towering and sage souls who all but lived forever.  The thought of them frightened Aesa a little though she could not say why.

“The Elves are very wise, I imagine they know much that we do not,” Aesa responded agreeably.  That said, there were probably plenty of things their kin could teach them too!  The talk of the Grey Havens reminded Aesa of something then.  “My father says that if you travel west you can watch the sun sink into the sea,” a smile, prompted by the apparent silliness of what she was going to say next, spread slowly across her face.  “He says that as they last of its light disappears, if you listen carefully, you can hear it sizzle.”  Aesa giggled quietly then, she could not help herself, and the musical sound rang in the still, evening air as clear as a bell.

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Ori noticed when Aesa's smile wavered once he faltered in his tone as he explained how he dislike being pampered and fussed over like she was, although Ori had to count himself lucky that at least he would be free to marry whom he wish, or if he married at all (although it was looking more like the latter, he had to admit; as the girls his age made him shy away). “I wonder too,” answered Aesa quietly. Ori had few friends and those that he had did not often divulge the events that were happening at home. One dwarves characteristic is that you stayed true and loyal to your family, and silence was required. “Perhaps... Perhaps it makes for a terribly boring existence.” Maybe it would, but Ori couldn't contemplate such an existence. Maybe, had his father not left and his mother not died he might have had that sort of life.

At his musings over the sun Aesa answered thoughtfully. “The Elves are very wise, I imagine they know much that we do not,” Ori felt the same awe at the word of Elf as she did. He still did not understand the disdain Dori and Nori had over them. All he knew of them was what he had read in books and heard mention by his brothers. All things considered, they would probably be brilliant companions to learn with, and not the demons their race thought them to be. “My father says that if you travel west you can watch the sun sink into the sea,” mentioned Aesa in remembrance. “He says that as they last of its light disappears, if you listen carefully, you can hear it sizzle.” And Ori had to guffaw quietly at the last phrase. That was a funny tale, but from what could be told from the archives it was merely an old wives' tale to explain. Although he really would like, someday, to visit the Grey Havens.

All these thoughts and musings made Ori careless and clumsy as he walked, and he did not notice the fallen branch before him when he was contemplating the golden sun in the horizon. With a whoop of surprise his boot caught with one of the branches that protruded from the larger one and fell over with a thud. After shaking off the shock he laughed out loud and stood uneasily, and he felt the branch he had caught on give way to his foot. Ori picked it up curiously, and smiled at the shape of it. It reminded him of a buck's horns. He had never eaten venison in his life but he had seen the carcasses of deer at the butchers', not to mention the drawings he had imitated from the archives.

Played by Jo

Aesa

• Shelved
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
The recollection of her father's words coaxed a quiet chuckle from her friend's lips.  That was well, for Aesa would sooner hear Ori's laughter than see him sad or pensive.  It was a silly notion, of course, that the sun sank down into the sea, but one the little maiden found endearing.  Truthfully, she tended to find much – perhaps too much – about her father endearing, looking up at the warrior through rose-coloured spectacles in a way only a daughter who rarely saw her father could do.  Whilst full of folklore tales and legends, Klaen was not one for books or for true learning.  That was an interest Aesa had inherited from her mother, if anyone.

Her mind wandered as they walked and she was pulled from shadowy half-formed thoughts by a whooping sound.  “Oh Ori!”  Aesa cried out in surprise, clapping a hand to her mouth as her friend caught his booted foot on a fallen branch and took a tumble to the ground.  “Are you hurt?”  Her question was answered immediately by a laugh – well, at least he was not so pained as to be unamused – and though she rushed she reached his side a moment too late, for Ori had already hauled himself shakily to his feet.

Aesa's wide blue-grey eyes focused first on the ruffled Dwarf before her and, with a crease of concern in her brow, she gently picked away the sparse blades of dry grass that now clung to Ori's tunic.  Only once she was sure he was as he had been before the fall did her attention move to the offending branch, now clutched in Ori's hand.  The little maiden blinked in surprise, then smiled faintly.  It seemed to please her friend, judging by his expression, and she could see why, for it was the most unusual of shapes and the golden light caught it prettily, highlighting its multi-armed form.

“Goodness me,” Aesa breathed, “Am I ever glad that it broke and you didn't.”  Dwarves were far from fragile, but a rabbit hole or unruly root could sprain or fracture an ankle all the same.

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
When he tumbles over the log, he vaguely catches Aesa's “Oh Ori!” By the time she asks“Are you hurt?” he's already on his feet and giving an uneasy laugh. He was supposed to look strong and unperturbed, but that had rather shaken him. All the same, that could have gotten worse. He gave another laugh as he regained his ground. The branch he broke off from the larger one he began to play with, attempting to see a use for it. He always tried to see use to garbage around him, even if it seemed hopeless.

His friend delicately removes a few leaves of grass that had caught on to him, and he unwittingly flinched. It wasn't exactly liked being mothered by Dori, but it was a bit annoying to be touched, even if it was for that. But he wasn't going to shove Aesa away, no sir. And besides, it wasn't long until Aesa looks at the branch he'd broken off with his boot when he broke away. She mostly likely wasn't seeing what he saw in it, but she comments, “Goodness me. Am I ever glad that it broke and you didn't.”

"Thank Mahal, then--oh!" With his remaining hand he covers his mouth, as Dori had told him not to spout that whenever he felt comfortable, despite Nori doing it lots of times. Then he tried to shake off his blunder, and an idea came to mind. Ori's eyes widened when a memory filled his eyes. Last winter Dori had caught a few older boys in front of their house with a few slingshots, trying to throw stones through the windows. Ori hadn't peeked through them until Dori had scared them away, but he had eventually seen the shadows slink away and grumble, with their weapons by their side.

"This...this could be a slingshot." He grins at the idea. "Dori doesn't like them, but they're good fun. I remember about a month ago a bunch of boys came around the house to play jokes on us with them, but..." He looks around the forest for something to use as a cord, to begin his slingshot. Of course, he breaks of the tips of the two forks in his future slingshot, but he still couldn't see anything to use for a slingshot.

Played by Jo

Aesa

• Shelved
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
The little maiden smiled with understanding as Ori caught himself, no doubt words of Dori's echoing in his ears.  Aesa quite liked Ori's fusspot elder brother, knowing that his heart was in the right place and that he only had the best intentions towards his family.  In the same vein, she also recognised the elder Dwarf was overbearing and pernickety.  He couldn't be easy to live with and her friend had her every sympathy.

“A slingshot, Ori?”  Aesa echoed, her blue-grey eyes widening and a slow grin tugging at her lips now that she was seeing what potential he saw in the unusual branch.  It was easier now that he had shortened the arms of it.  “That would be fun!”  Of course, the maiden had no need to fear that he would use it for mischief, for pulling mean-spirited pranks or breaking windows.

First the slingshot needed finished and, for that, it needed some sort of thong.  She followed his gaze to the forest around them, looking for something to hand.  The only thing that jumped out at her were the creepers and trailing plants that grew up the trunks of the trees.  “Would a vine work, do you think?”  Aesa asked uncertainly, looking up to Ori as she did.  “At least until you can have something woven especially.”

Ori

• Dwarves
  • Wanderers
    • View Profile
A Moon-Spree
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
“A slingshot, Ori?” Aesa asked, and slowly, the ingredients of this slingshot began forming themselves in his head. “That would be fun!” Ori grinned and inspected the branch more clearly. He stretched his hand to the colorful horizon and measured how large it was in comparison with the sky and the stars, then with the two peaks away from them that would be other summits in the Blue Mountains that they had never been in. It seemed wide enough...and with a tug at the two forked branches at the edge, he could feel they’d resist a large rubber or leather band pulling at them to throw a stone. If anything...and his face grew a little red at the thought...it could be his own personal weapon. Just while Dori made up his mind and decided that he was finally worthy of learning how to defend himself! Then he could play with wood swords like his friends, and try his hand at archery and mace-swinging...

But Aesa’s wandering gaze interrupted his little daydream. “Would a vine work, do you think?” Ori looked at her, and analyzed her idea. Well...a vine might do for now but it would eventually snap if they pulled too far, or with time. “At least until you can have something woven especially.” Then Ori began searching the trees for a vine to pull too. “No, but that’s perfect, Aesa! I mean, for now! Later we can ask Dori to buy a leather strap, or a catgut string! I’ve seen those at the butchers’ and they make those for harps and other instruments!” He took her hand and motioned to all the trees. “Last one to find a vine is a rotten egg!” he crowed, and then scampered around the woods for a branch that lowered itself enough to catch one...or at least to climb.

“And we can find one for you too, if you want one!” he offered gladly. [color]“I’m sure there must be several branches like these that we can find, and you can have one too!”[/color] And then he find the most lovely willow that just happened to bump into another kind of tree he did not know, which was overflowing with vines he also did not know. Two hours from then, he would easily recognize for the rest of his life, that those lovely vines were nothing less than poison ivy, but in the excited eyes of Ori, they were just his ticket to a cool, if rather crude, weapon and toy.

Played by Jo

Tags: aesa t.a. 2891 

* Tagbox

Refresh History
  • Nauroval: Open thread for assistance from any in Rohan/Near Fangorn! Removing an arrow from the wing of a Great Eagle and getting to possibly speak to her and meet Shadowfax due to it! :smile: [link]
    May 22, 2020, 12:08:54 AM
  • Nienna: Open thread for LotR time line, for Sahib: [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:44:11 AM
  • Nienna: Oh la la, a post! [link]
    May 20, 2020, 02:38:53 AM
  • Sauron: Reply for Saruman [link]
    May 12, 2020, 09:02:52 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Trenardir [link]
    May 09, 2020, 07:46:26 AM
  • Estel/Aragorn: Starter for Elrond [link]
    May 09, 2020, 05:04:57 AM
  • Bard: Don't feel disheartened. The thread is open to anyone, including Bain. I've also made a slight change to the last paragraph. I hope it helps you in joining the thread.
    May 06, 2020, 08:34:45 AM
  • Nienna: Oh! Was about to toss Bain at Pappa, but after reading the last paragraph... hmmm...
    May 06, 2020, 03:32:31 AM
  • Bard: Open thread at Laketown for anyone with a reason to be there during a cold winter night
    May 01, 2020, 01:40:22 AM
  • Saruman: Starter for Sauron [[link]]
    April 30, 2020, 06:27:20 AM
  • Gandalf: Open thread at the Shire for any and all Hobbits
    April 29, 2020, 09:20:22 PM
  • Faramir: Reply for Éomer! [link]
    April 23, 2020, 03:40:13 PM
  • Faramir: Starter for Boromir! [link]
    April 22, 2020, 12:47:38 PM
  • Nienna: [link] open thread!
    January 14, 2020, 04:33:41 AM
  • Nienna: [link] @Ihsan @Reis